Plastering v tapeing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning a new build and trying to get an idea of the costs.

All the house will be all drywalled.

I am planning on taping the bedrooms and bathrooms
but am undecided on the living room and kitchen/family room

Would there be a noticable difference in finish if they were
skimmed intead of taped and what would be a rough guide
to the difference in price?

The size of the living room is 6m by 5m and the kitchen/family
room is 9m by 4.5m

Sponsored Links
if i was planning a new build i wouldn't even dream of dry walling it even if i wasn't going to live there its cheap and nasty, but the rooms that have been skimmed compared to those that has been taped will look the same for a while that is, until you get a few knocks on the taped rooms then you will have holes and dents in these rooms also the joints are prone to cracking, skimming will give the rooms a cirtain toughness the taped rooms wont have, and as for decorating? stick wall paper on the taped rooms and then decide to take the wallpaper off? forget it

there's not a huge difference cost wise between taping and skimming!

taping is labour intensive and time consuming as the tapes generally need around 3 coats and sanded to perfection.

Thanks for the reply,

As it is a timber framed house I do not really have an option but
to use drywall, and Timber frame was chosen because of the insulation
values that are obtainable and the speed of construction.

Sponsored Links
If your building timber framed then you don’t really have much choice but at least have the drywall skimmed. Tape & fill is a cheap & nasty alternative IMO, OK for constructing office partitions in commercial buildings but has no place in a domestic property. It wont save that much cash in the overall scheme of things, is far less robust & even when properly sealed, is unlikely to survive wallpaper stripping or tile removal when it come to a change in décor.

Not really relevant but just an opinion; I have huge dislike for internal stud walls to the point I would never contemplate buying such a property, I would never consider timber framed either.

If your building timber framed then you don’t really have much choice but at least have the drywall skimmed. Tape & fill is a cheap & nasty alternative IMO, OK for constructing office partitions in commercial buildings but has no place in a domestic property. It wont save that much cash in the overall scheme of things, is far less robust & even when properly sealed, is unlikely to survive wallpaper stripping or tile removal when it come to a change in décor.

Which one is the "I couldn't agree more " Smiley?

Thanks for the info, I have been led to believe there would be a large price difference. Time to get some quotes I think.

Not really relevant but just an opinion; I have huge dislike for internal stud walls to the point I would never contemplate buying such a property, I would never consider timber framed either.

Totally agree with you that stud wall are not the greatest and I initially wanted to do a traditional build as and am using a local builder who always says he would do the same even though 3/4 of the houses he builds are timber frame. But when it came down to building a very high energy efficient house to match a timer frame the costs went through the roof. And with the way energy prices are going even the builder is swaying more towards timber frame construction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back