Bad plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a building firm in to move a ceiling switch and skim the bathroom ceiling and also re-board and skim the living room ceiling, what a nightmare!
The work was so bad that even the owner of the firm admitted to it and offered to redo everything, great I thought a builder who is willing to put right his his mistakes.
So two more plasterers arrived at the house and set about the jobs and after it was completed, guess what it was still rough.
Joint tape has not been covered on one spot in the living room, leaving the tape proud of the plaster for about 8 inches.
The job in the bathroom is even worse
What I need to know, the exposed tape in the living room pic, can joint compound be put over this and then sanded back to give a good finish as the tape is proud of the plaster, will it be noticeable, this is what the builder is proposing
Below is a link to my album with some pics of the problems

//www.diynot.com/network/thekingbeyond/albums/10231

Sponsored Links
What I need to know, the exposed tape in the living room pic, can joint compound be put over this and then sanded back to give a good finish as the tape is proud of the plaster, will it be noticeable, this is what the builder is proposing
Below is a link to my album with some pics of the problems

//www.diynot.com/network/thekingbeyond/albums/10231[/QUOTE]

So long as it's done carefully, then yes it can be covered with joint compound and blended in.
Looking at the use of jointing compound near your light switch in the bathroom, I hope they do it better than that ;)

They will be here to repair everything tomorrow, I don't have much faith in them anymore, the pics are there second attempt at doing the job :evil:

They will be here to repair everything tomorrow, I don't have much faith in them anymore, the pics are there second attempt at doing the job :evil:

I'd hope they can manage it as a simple job - usually!
There are some pitfalls with the patching/blending. Multifinish does not like to be sanded and if done too much can lose its smooth appearance.
So if they daub a huge amount of compound on and try to sand all round and flat they could make a mess.
The other option is put some diluted white emulsion on the area, as per a wash coat. When it dries it will give you an idea how bad it really is. Sometimes the tapes can be visible, but actually feel smooth and when painted aren't obvious. Having the wash coat on that area won't cause them any additional time.

Sponsored Links
I can feel the tape as it sits proud and there is a lip on one side the other is covered with plaster, I am thinking of getting them to re-skim, would that be a better option?

i hope you haven't paid them my advice would be to give them the boot you cant be expected to pay for work like that they've had a chance to put it right and failed don't even let them in, if you have paid them tell them you want a refund

Dont let them back in they have already tried twice.
It looks like they have attempted to patch a hole behind the pull cord using easi fill and it has slumped...Its a mess :cry:

Looks like Esi-fill to me. Bet they were Poles who can't plaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back