Plastering walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've removed some skirting and need to bond the wall for the new one, as its very uneven.
I have a rough idea on bonding, but would be grateful for some tips.
Heres what I aim to do:

1) Paint on a mix of pva/water (1part pva: 5 parts water)?
2) Allow to dry for 5 mins
3) Mix up bonding plaster (6 months out of date - do I need a new one)?
4) Apply to wall
5) Allow to dry - 2hrs
6) Allow next portion of plaster (10mm stages)

I dont know if the above is correct?

Sponsored Links
I wouldn’t use 6 month out of sell by date plaster; it’ll be useless if the bag has been opened. Mix a little first, you’ll soon know. Bonding plaster is primarily for low suction backgrounds what’s the wall made of? Is the plaster being totally covered with skirting or will is be seen?

First of all,, don't plaster right down to floor level, keep it a half inch or so clear. Give the wall a wet down with water/brush before you do anything.
You're correct with the PVA,, but "don't let it dry" out,, once you've brushed the pva on, "plaster onto it right away", especially if it's onto porous brick/block.
Get a new bag of Bonding, a bag 6 months out of date is not worth risking at all, plus for all the coat of a new bag,,, £6.50 ish.
Allow to set,,, 2 hrs plus,,, you'll see it change to a darker colour when it's setting. Depending on the thickness and your ability, you can bring it out in two coats, If you plan to do it that way, scratch the first coat you put on, to make a key for the second. When the second coat has set, you're then ready for the (multi finish) smooth finishing plaster.

Thank you for the advice, Ill buy a new bag tomorrow! Im basically plastering onto brickwork and old plaster, its where the old skirting was and when pulled off took chunks out of the wall. It will be completely covered by skirting. Do I scratch/key it with the edge of the trowel? Is that good enough?

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the advice, Ill buy a new bag tomorrow! Im basically plastering onto brickwork and old plaster, its where the old skirting was and when pulled off took chunks out of the wall. It will be completely covered by skirting. Do I scratch/key it with the edge of the trowel? Is that good enough?

If it's going to be "completely covered" by the skirting,, then dont worry about doing anything to it, apart from keeping it vertically in line with the original plane of the wall. If you're putting the bonding on in two coats, then you should scratch the first coat. Because it's just a very small area,, just use the point of a nail, the edge of the trowel, anything really, just to make a key. You wont need to finish the bonding off, it's hidden as you said, but just make sure it's flat/smooth,,, plus, keep it clear of the floor.

Cheers, just one last thing, is it worth mixing some PVA into the plaster mix?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back