Plastering - where to start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

Basically, I'm renovating one of the bedrooms in my house. Ultimately it will be one of the kids bedroom so not looking for a super professional finish so doing it myself as thought its a good opportunity to brush up on my plastering skills - only done once or twice previously.

3 of the 4 walls are in decent condition and I will plan to just skim these. Ceiling has already been skimmed.
However, one of the walls at the rear is in noticeable worse condition that the others + wife has decided she didn't like built in wardrobe that was originally there so I've had to rip that out as well.

Please see pictures.

I have the following questions:

a) The walls are brick, then some sort of hardwall or cement mix + a softish thick plaster (quite crumbly in places now) on top of that + final skim coat. The extent to which they are still on the wall and the ease to which I can get them off differs a lot.

Should I hack off as much as I can with the aim of getting back to bricks or try and preserve as much as possible.

b) Given I have bricks behind - is it best to hardwall or use bonding before I apply multi-finish. I always hear people talking about it depends on suction of walls, but is it likely that the brick walls of a 1910 terrace house likely to be low suction or high suction.

Or should I try and hack it all off and then board. This I think will be a big pain - some of the areas have hardwall + cement which is really well stuck on.

c) Given I ripped built in wardrobe out, I have a 4ft x 1ft gap in ceiling that I need to plasterboard. Once I have put plasterboard in - should I tape around edges where it meets the walls or not. Also you can see the ceiling has already been skimmed. What is best way to blend one into the other - should I tape that joint.

Any answers to those q's or any other advice - would be much appreciated.

Thanks
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Hack off any loose/ damaged plaster back to brick, pva and bring flush with bonding plaster.
Tape the junction between wall and ceiling,and the join between the old and new p/board use easi-fill on the ceiling as it can be sanded to blend in with existing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back