Plastering with coving up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

No plastering posts recently, but completed last house and moved again so new project time :)

Looking to knock two rooms into one large breakfast room, just with removal of a stud wall in between.
There is coving around the ceiling in each room which will need joining where the stud comes out but also quite a deep artex pattern to cover.

The coving lip looks about 6mm high.
What would you guys recommend?

Was thinking it may need a tight bonding coat first to take out the high artex pattern and with skim on top - but this will take most of this lip height.
The same gap currently matches against the wall edge too, but if I plaster and reduce the ceiling gap alone, it may look unbalanced, if you know what I mean.
So another option would be to take coving off and replace after skimming. I think it's made of a plaster rather than polystyrene or anything like that.

The area is quite big - approx 4m x 2.5m in each space.

This is a new one for me, so would like to know options.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You could probably skim straight over that artex pattern it's stippled patterns that really need a tight coat of bonding. Best job would be to take it off and replace .

You might be able to put a tight coat over the ceiling and feather it off into the lip on the coving. Then another coat to cover it and feather it in to the lip again. You might find that the pattern near the coving may not be as thick as on the main ceiling and you may get away with it. Put a straight edge across the ceiling and see where the highs and lows are it will give you an idea of what you have to play with around the edges.I wouldn't be tempted to sand the pattern at all in case of it containing the dreaded asbestos. If you take it all down like "chappers" said then be masked up and well protected and have a mate standing by you with a Henry Hoover to suck the dust up. Then cross batten it and re board with tapered edged boards and put coving back on before you skim it. You could try and persuade the owner to lose the coving.. Good luck mucka.;)

Personally, I'd remove all the coving, skim then fit new coving. It's not that expensive and would give a better finish without doubt.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the good advice all. Comprehensive as always.

I wouldn't be tempted to sand the pattern at all in case of it containing the dreaded asbestos. If you take it all down like "chappers" said then be masked up and well protected and have a mate standing by you with a Henry Hoover to suck the dust up. Then cross batten it and re board with tapered edged boards and put coving back on before you skim it. You could try and persuade the owner to lose the coving.. Good luck mucka.;)

Yes, definitely not sand. These ceilings are in an extension which was built ~1995, but I don't fancy risking it in case.

The owner is me, but the mrs probably has a say in this one too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back