To cove or not to cove...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently moved into a new place and some of the rooms have coving and some don't. I actually quite like coving and think it finishes the room off, my partner doesn't want coving.

I think coving is becoming quite old fashioned and is going the way of artex. It doesn't look right with some rooms with and some without, although this would be the cheapest and easiest option!

Would you lot recommend removing the existing coving or adding coving? The finish behind the coving is completely unknown so either I could be lucky or I might have work and expense!! Arrgh... Suggestions please? Then I can blame you lot if it goes wrong :)

Sponsored Links
Coving matter of taste of course, but removing existing coving will at best leave a mess, so for an easy life, I'd leave it be, if your partner can bear it.

Thanks that would be my preference if it aint broke don't fix. :) Unfortunately the mrs wants the rooms to match and she also doesn't like coving.

I'll try and leave it as is for now but shell probably wear me down and get her own way in the end :D

Thanks that would be my preference if it aint broke don't fix. :) Unfortunately the mrs wants the rooms to match and she also doesn't like coving.

I'll try and leave it as is for now but shell probably wear me down and get her own way in the end :D

Ok, let your partner know that for the smooth "flawless" look, the rooms will need reskimming, not horrendously expensive TBF.

Sponsored Links
A room without coving looks unfinished, the corners look horribly unfinished. Coving makes it much easier to decorate to the coving than without it. I did my entire house downstairs, apart from downstairs toilet and the utility room.

The modern fashion is not to have coving. I suspect we were all convinced that it it looks better without coving by modern builders who want to cut costs. Anyway, I'm willing to bet that in 20 years time, people will be retrofitting coving in order make their houses more upmarket. Just my opinion of course.

Some people just don't like it, doesn't make that right or wrong.

Tell her how much mess it will make when removing it, then tell her she can do it if she wants.

Unfortunately the mrs wants the rooms to match and she also doesn't like coving.
She'd hate our house. We have a mixture of convex and concave plain coving, ornate plaster coving and none at all in the bathroom. When we moved in back in 1990, the previous owner hade made it look like a plaster showroom. Ornate coving everywhere, ornate plaster dado rail throughout, ornate ceiling roses, plaster 'niches' sunk in the wall, plaster 'Adams' style fireplace and 'corbels' appearing to hold up the through lounge support beam! Nearly all gone now

We have just removed ours and rooms feel bigger/taller.

I think your eye goes to the lowest point (ie the bottom of the coving) but as said you dont know what your going to find behind it.

Ours was really bad in some rooms so needed skimming.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back