Plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:eek: As I'm new to the site and the diy game, I'm after some tips on plastering ie how to get the mix right, is there a right or wrong way to do it? Any info would be greatly appreciated! :idea:

Sponsored Links
When you mix up, add the powder to the bucket of water, not water to the bucket of powder.
Mix it so it's sort of whipped cream consistancy.
Don't mix up more than you can get on the wall in about 20minutes, or it'll set hard on the board rather than the wall! :eek:
start with the smallest area you have to do first to get a feel for it, or even better, get some left over plasterboard and practice a bit on it (even if you have to plaster onto a block wall, it's still practice :)
Don't be down hearted if it goes horribly wrong (it can be fixed, even if it's by a pro)

Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Don't mix up more than you can get on the wall in about 20minutes, or it'll set hard on the board rather than the wall! :eek:
Plaster should never go off on you that quick :eek: ; either you’ve used bad/outdated stock, over mixed it or not prepped whatever surface you’re plastering properly!

Superstar;
Before you start, spend some time reading through the archive posts, they will give you lots of tips & at least & give an idea of what lies ahead. Understandign the materials & preparation is all important & varies depending on what surface your plastering; all youve got to do then is get it on the wall flat & level :LOL:

:LOL: Thanks to everyone inc those that think they are funny for the tips. It was kind of you to take the time to help

Plaster should never go off on you that quick :eek: ; either you’ve used bad/outdated stock, over mixed it or not prepped whatever surface you’re plastering properly!

Not to my knowledge... I do remember the first couple of times i tried plastering, mixing up a whole load putting it in the board, then either spending so long trying to get it on the wall (and floor), it took far longer than i thought i would then looking at the board to find it had gone off! :LOL:

Besides, if your only filling in holes, you don't need a massive load....keep it to small manageable gauges, waste less, spend less, and get used to mixing up!

Not to my knowledge... I do remember the first couple of times i tried plastering, mixing up a whole load putting it in the board, then either spending so long trying to get it on the wall (and floor), it took far longer than i thought i would then looking at the board to find it had gone off! :LOL:
Besides, if your only filling in holes, you don't need a massive load....keep it to small manageable gauges, waste less, spend less, and get used to mixing up!

If you’re only filling holes (did the OP say that!) then it doesn’t matter but Finishing plaster is not best suited for that anyway. If finish plastering a wall, you must always mix up enough for the whole wall if you’re working alone. You should aim to get the first & second coats on the wall in around 40 minutes; it should still be useable off the board for a while longer but will become increasingly difficult to work with. This will leave you enough time to trowel up & finish off. Curing time is around 1½ hours but you should be finished up long before then as it will be pretty unworkable except for polishing out the odd blemish & if you attempt to bring it back by adding loads of water you will ruin the surface.

Using buckets & hand tools contaminated with old plaster will also make your new mix go off much quicker; what was your spot board made of?

If you’re only filling holes (did the OP say that!)
No, my failing, was thinking of a seperate post. :oops:

what was your spot board made of?
Can't remember what it was made of! probably a piece of ply, or stirling board wetted before being loaded...Now i use a piece of old kitchen worktop.

Richard C: I agree with both the stated setting times, and also mixing enough to cover each surface with two coats.
Again, your right plaster should keep much longer than 20 minutes (unless you chuck in some cement.....), I only ment (and should have stated), that it'll probably take longer than expected to get it on the wall than you think first time trying. And you'll probably mix up more than that anyway.
The original question was asking how to get the mix right, which i guess implies the amount. I stand by the 20 minutes previously mentioned - what looks like 20 minutes in a bucket, will no doubt take longer anyway (particularly for a first time).

The last thing I want to do is give bad advise!, but it is only an opinion....
....out of curiosity how big is the area reffered to in the original post?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back