Poor Plastering?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone advise please.

just had 2 cielings plastered.

As im not a plasterer, i haven't a clue untill its dry what it should look like.

So when dry, it now shows patches were plaster hasnt been smoothed over bonding and theres a few ripples.

Apparently im to zero sand paper the plaster lightly before painting and use polyfiller were there is no plaster???

i notcied when they were doing the ceiling they mixed some plaster to something looked like angel delight, i think a bit softer than the big amount they put on the ceiling.

Is it worth me mixing some to this texture and doing the missing parts.

No question of them coming back big agro and words said as i wanted a ceiling i just had to paint?? and i thought this was not the way it should be left but i may be wrong? Is this the right way its done.

was hoping to get room finished looks like longer job now :(

many thanks for any tips.

OJ

Sponsored Links
If you paid them to skim completely the ceilings then they should (if they were professional) do it to a smooth finish so that all you needed to do was then mist coat & paint. If you have some pictures of the ceilings then we would get a better idea of the condition.

Any plastered wall or ceiling may have slight imperfections or little misses. Usually a little bit of filler and/ or a bit of sandpaper lightly rubbed here and there will suffice. I am talking about minor blemishes Part of the reason for putting a white mist coat on the wall, sealing aside, is to show any flaws up so they can be filled and sanded before the final two (or so) coats of paint are applied.

Of course, the ideal is that you can just paint the ceiling without any rubbing down etc and this is usually , but not always the case.

However, what you describe (not having seen it) seems to be beyond what is acceptable.

Do not try to patch it with finish as it will not blend in. The finish will only be better if you have any holes more than 3-4mm, which hopeflly is not the case.

I suggest rubbing down with sandpaper the bad areas first. Use a sanding block, or a sanding float or ideally sander on a stick for ceilings, but hardly worth buying for a one off.

Fill the blemishes with aimes or easifill which hase been mixed to a paste.

You can marry the edges in with a damp sponge , but this is not essential.

When it has set, usuallu the nest day, rub it down . If it needs another coat, repeat as above.

As a plasterer, I would be obliged to put the work right, within reason, and would not expect to be paid unless the client is satisfied. I would be able to demnstrate what is reasonable to expect the finish to be, also , if I thought teh client was taking the pee just to get out of paying.

I know it is too late for this for you.

Were they recommended?

Sponsored Links
Hi miclin

Sorry for not logging in sooner well what a mess, :rolleyes:

The cielings were drastic, luckily found a very nice chap who happened to be a teacher in teh trade as well, and hes done a lovley job and how quick a guy can move when he knows his stuff!!

I've now painted them and they are looking fine.

The 1st plasterer had moved a few 100 miles away, the day after finishing the job, and to be honest It wasnt far enough... I had had enough of him jumping over my new work tops and the mess in the kicthen, unbearable looked like a rainfall in the muddy amazon and the walls all need washing down.

Its a 25ft by 25 ft cieling in the kitchen and he was in there from 10 till 7 ??? seems a long time now ive spoken to a proffesional.

Now to tackle the floursent light, which the 1st plasterer removed.

1 month now with no lighting down stairs, i'm just at the end of my tether. but i do have lovely cielings wooo hooo :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back