Plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a plasterer out yesterday to skim the walls in our living room, and he has discovered the dry lined walls have not been fitted correctly, the builders used cement instead of proper bonding to fix the boards to the wall(breezeblock/brick wall), alo he said the boards have been fitted the wrong way around, not white side up. is this common? also when pressing against the walls there is a lot of movement and the plasterboard moves. he said if he was to skim it would most likely fall off after time and suggested taking all the existing boards down and to re board, dabbing with the proper bonding cement, Help !!!

Sponsored Links
your spread is giving you good advice, if the plasterboard is moving it needs to be addressed b4 any smimming takes place, some spreads would have just took your money and skimmed it, go with what he says.

"edit" on another note if the boards are going to come down you may want to consider float and set

your spread is giving you good advice, if the plasterboard is moving it needs to be addressed b4 any smimming takes place, some spreads would have just took your money and skimmed it, go with what he says.

"edit" on another note if the boards are going to come down you may want to consider float and set

As Steve said, he is putting your interest before the money and it is nice to hear this when we get the opposite so often, althouhg maddening to see how you have been treated by the builder.

Fixing them the wrong way round is the first clue - although you could get over this easily if they had been stuck properly, it shows that they were not used to doing this work properly.

I'm thinking that if you checked them for straightness etc you might find they are not good ?

The alternative to taking them all down would be only viable if they had enough dabs everywhere, and you could put nailable plugs in through the boards to mechanically fix them. I don't see this as a option to be honest and for peace of mind you'll have to do as Steve says. You maybe able to salvage a few boards if they are not stuck properly but you may cause more hassle for the next sticker with bad boards

Bite the bullet - can you ask the spread if he can do it, or get a recommendation from him for someone as a first step?

is drilling holes in the places where it is loose the most and either using no nails or expanding foam an option to secure the boards to the wall instead of taking them down??

Sponsored Links
is drilling holes in the places where it is loose the most and either using no nails or expanding foam an option to secure the boards to the wall instead of taking them down??

Foam will push the boards out, no nails not viable over a llarge area.

I've done small areas by cuting holes and packing the proper drywall adhesive in -but not really practical for a room - you'd have holes all over the place, not nice for skimming

Anyone here use the cans of adhesive -would this work?? You'd still have a load of holes.

The problem would be in the future -what will come loose when you put up a shelf or push furniture against it (or in my place when boys decide best place to play football is in the house)

If intent onleaving the boards in situ , use these or similar

http://www.british-gypsum.com/produ...ies/gyproc_fixings/gyproc_nailable_plugs.aspx

quick and easy -drill a hole the right depth and knock them in

and treat the whole area as being in need of fixing ie put the fixings in as recommended ( don't know off hand? 300 - 400 centres? anyone) if you can fix them through dabs you will stop the boards being pulled in -but if there are enough dabs this is not a problem. Your old dabs are now just spacers, as we can't trust them to stick to the board or the wall.

Before you do any of this, do a bit more research - Check if your spread is happy with this.He may need need to bond the wall out to make it straight etc and see if he is happy to proceed before making any decision. He sounds like someone you can trust, he'll be responsible for the job so you should be willing to consider his advice. He's seen the actual job, not me and he'll be doing it !!

i wouldn't use no nails and im not sure about expanding foam although i think i have read a thread somewhere where that has been done, the nailable plugs which micilin has suggested sounds a good idea, but i suppose it all depends how many boards are loose, if it was my house i would take the lot off, and don't 4get you are paying this spread good money to skim it, which may be good money wasted if the boards are not fixed properly, even if you managed to sure up the loose boards you know very well that the rest of the boards are not stuck on right and in time they may come loose also costing more money in the long run.

Fixing them the wrong way round is the first clue - although you could get over this easily if they had been stuck properly, it shows that they were not used to doing this work properly.

I'm thinking that if you checked them for straightness etc you might find they are not good ?

Completely agree with the guys.
If they have put all the boards the wrong way round this is a basic error (even for a newbee saying this!) so chances are they have not been thorough and not got your boards nice and plumb.

Would consider getting the spread to at least quote to re-do the boards for you. His advice sounds good and trustworthy.
You may find he's a bit wary of these boards and if he's guaranteeing his work, prob would be happier knowing he's redone them properly.

Board adhesive foam would work, i have done it in spots in my house to rectify bouncy boards!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back