plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thanks in advance, can anyone tell me the best process to skim a large ceiling area? or how to join without noticing in two parts ?

Sponsored Links
The way I was taught to do it was to fix a wood baton to partition off a working area, skim neatly upto this baton, use a 1" paint brush and water to make sure no bits or peaks. Remove the baton and then skim the other side, this gives you a clean straight edge to blend into. That said, if I think I can't manage a ceiling on my own in one go, I get somebody competent to help.

if you're gonna skim a large ceiling in two hits then you need to; fix all scrims, one coat just over half the ceiling, but when you second coat , leave a 10inch margin, of the first coat unplastered. this will allow you to overlap with ease when you're ready to two coat skim the other half.

hope this makes sense!!

hyde
unless you are very adapt at plastering ...dont bother , as it is a very skilled job doing a ceiling ,an WILL look awful if you cannot get it floated right ....

most GOOD plasterers will bish/bosh it off in no time ,

Sponsored Links
like moz said if its too big, guaranteed if you do it wrong it will look **** and may cost you more to put right unless its in your own house and your not arsed and prepared to get any experience go for it ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back