Plastic? I've gone off it. Copper is back in fashion.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not a plumber, my few posts make that obvious.

I've used plastic a lot, mostly because I've needed to get the plumbing up and working quickly in an old house we bought 11 years ago.

Plastic is quick, doesn't leak (yet) and is easy to alter/extend if you don't have years of plumbing knowledge and skill.

But. But....

Over these years I've grown tired of the limitations and, well, ugliness of plastic.

By limitations I mean flow rates. Even with 22mm all the way to bath taps the flow can be poor due to inserts. (I mean with gravity system)

And so, I've gone back to what I used to do 30 years ago when helping my dad fit central heating to our house (which was bloody cold to grow up in before it was fitted!) and to use soldered copper.

This isn't a call for a debate about which is best, just wondered if anyone else has begun to get a bit fed up with plastic and has gone back to copper? There something very pleasing about a soldered joint - though, I'll admit, I do like the satisfying 'click' of a JG joint :)

Sponsored Links
I agree, I have no doubt said it before plastic is Lego plumbing!:ROFLMAO:

There are times when plastic has its uses but I will use copper as a rule

Those that can, use copper, those that can't ...

Sponsored Links
I can see the point of it on hot and cold pipes to be fair, the idea is to use as few fittings as possible to avoid such restrictions. Inevitably you need an elbow, socket etc here and there though, it's impossible not to. May mean going up to 28mm in some cases where 22mm copper would suffice.

Heating systems I think should be copper only, seen far too many leaks at the sustained higher temperatures that they reach.

Not a plumber ...but really don't like plastic. I have some that was fitted in the early 80s in this house by a DIYer, badly done when we went from a system boiler to a combi the increased pressure meant the pipes flew off and unlike copper with nothing to hold them down they flew around spraying water everywhere...like a cartoon hose pipe...
(had most of the visible pipes replaced with copper)
I had a leaking joint and it took lots of research to be able to get the 'right' insert to repair it...
And finally I read somewhere the stuff I have has a 30 year guarantee ....waiting for the major failure any time ....

I'd be surprised if a modern plastic fitting blew off if properly fitted.

My dislike is more appearance and flow limitations.

My grandads old house built in 1974 had some kind of solvent weld plastic for mains cold in the loft (only up there thankfully) which I replaced when putting in an unvented cylinder. Mainly because I couldn't be bothered finding the correct adapters. Was only feeding the two header tanks and only the last 2m or so where going back it changed back to copper along with the rest of the house. Wasn't leaking though.

It was badly fitted- sadly not the worse job done by that particular DIYer....
I can't remember what mine is called -like I said it was a nightmare to get the right new insert ...(I would have replaced it all but it was only the end I could get to - rest of pipe runs under a wall, a fitted kitchen cupboard sized sink unit and impossible to lift floor ...). Trying to find them was when I found out that it seems like it deteriorates from inside
Apparently in the US there is a class action law suit over one kind used in the 70s and 80s - the type I suspect I have (Wiki link)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyb...and_removal_from_building_code_approved_usage
Just had a look at modern plastic piping and it has a 50yr guarantee... which isn't that long really for feed pipes to a bathroom in house that should still be standing after a hundred years - but then I guess you would need a couple of rewires over that time span so that might be a new thing to see on a survey - needs a rewire and repipe!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back