plastic pipe for built in shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi. would be grateful for any advice please.
i am getting a new bir shower, my plumber tells me it is best to take the existing copper pipe out and replace it with plastic,is this a good idea?i am concerned about any leaks once the pipe is in the wall. thanks

Sponsored Links
cant post pics bluetooth not working on laptop sorry.
the existing copper pipe has been in the wall for around 12 years now and is not looking to clever, the original plumber didnt wrap the copper pipe with anything.
because of constant probs over the years with an adjoining bedroom wall getting damp even though i have regrouted the tiles,( doesnt look as if the copper pipe has leaked though.)i have taken tiles in cubicle off and have decided to have a new shower fit and cubicle then have shower wall boards instead of tiles.
i just thought it was strange new plumber wants to fit plastic pipe instead of copper.does it make a difference which type of pipe is used? thanks for your reply.

Sponsored Links
the copper pipework is still in place, i have turned shower on and filled buckets of water with no signs of a leak from shower or pipework so it must have been the tiling.the brickwork was wet, i have had a dehumidifier running for weeks. looks dry now so ready to start fitting new shower etc.
just to add there is a what looks like a rust spot on the copper pipe.but no leak as it is all still connected to water supply.i would rather replace the pipe if there is a risk of it leaking in future. but is it best to replace with copper or is plastic just as good? thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back