Plastic Pipe to a uprigth radiator.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys. We are giving out kitchen a bit of a facelift. The old white radiator is showing its age so we are going to replace it with a modern looking black upright model which will use a bottom feed/side feed. Our current system uses 10mm plastic pipe with the follow in fittings.

rsz_20170825_152028.jpg

When fitting the radiator I would like to hide the nasty looking plastic pipes in the wall cavity and just come through the wall with some 15mm copper/chrome pipe to this type of valve.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/chrome-angled-radiator-valves-15mm-2-pack/37800

I'm thinking of joining the plastic 10mm to the 15mm chrome pipe using a 90 degree elbow in the cavity where the pipe needs to come out of the wall.

Sound sensible? If not, how could it be done? I cannot come upwards as the floor is concrete.

Cheers.
Ash

Sponsored Links
Always makes me sad to see that someone has put plastic pipe into radiators.

You should start thinking about upgrading your 10mm system to a 22mm/15mm system.

But yes you can join plastic to copper using the appropriate fittings, ideally hidden in the cavity if possible.

I agree plastic to those types of rad is a no no.

Why do you think I should upgrade? The system only 15 ish years old and is working file and we get good efficiency and heat from it.

10mm pipe has such a small bore that it's liable to block regularly.

Your radiators will also take longer to heat up, causing there boiler to burn gas for longer.

Sponsored Links
10mm pipe has such a small bore that it's liable to block regularly.

Your radiators will also take longer to heat up, causing there boiler to burn gas for longer.

OK point taken but, If the system is well maintained and flushed/treated on a regular basis, the little bit of extra gas burnt v's the cost of replacing the pipes, redecorating where access has been gained in walls and the general shag and hassle is not worth it.

If the system was broken/leaking and costing lots more the run than required. I would agree.

be aware that vertical radiators depending on the make will most likely be flow and return sensitive, that means that they can only be piped one way as they have a distribution baffle fitted and if you get the pipes the wrong way around it wont work, your existing radiator will work either way round, the radiator you choose will be marked which side must be the flow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back