Plastic pipes in floor screed...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am preparing to lay the floor screed in my extension and new kitchen. I have read a great deal of stuff on the various pro's and con's of copper versus plastic and reckon I am pretty much settled on using pipe in conduit plastic pipes in the screed, not only to comply with what I believe to be the regs. of being able to remove and replace pipe laid in screed in the future (is that right?).
Anyway, I have blue plastic as my mains riser and will be using an unvented hot water system.... so was planning to fit 22mm plastic Hep2o as the main cold feed across the room (with a 22mm return for softened water), tee'd off where required for outside tap etc. I was planning to do this in one L-shaped run with a Hep2o junction box (which will end up under the kitchen cabinets). Does this sound like a good plan? Any comment on material / pipe choice?
For my hot and boiler connections, I was going to run them all in another seperate run, boiler flow / return in 28mm, sleeved in 32mm plastic waste pipe... CH is underfloor, so that is a seperate issue..... then hot water - is it worth fitting a hot water loop to the kitchen sink? The sink will be about 8-9m away from the hot tank. If so, what size should I run the hot pipes? 15 or 22mm? And how to further lag those within the screed? wrap in something like Climaflex pipe lag?
My natural instinct is to clip all the runs to the Cellotex board in a straight line... but should I be doing them in a shallow S to allow for expansion?
As a DIY'er, what I am most likely to have missed, not thought about or forgotten to put in the screed?
Any help or thoughts greatly appreciated as I know this is one thing I need to get right!!

Sponsored Links
Just a quick point - not sure if I have read your message right, but the cold water at the kitchen sink must be direct from the water undertaker - i.e. not softened water. Apologies if you already knew this - wasn't quite clear from your post.

Thanks for that BournemouthPlumber, yes I should have qualified - plan to have both cold direct from mains and cold softened at the kitchen sink. Figured it was worth doing while I can.
Anyone else got any thoughts on what I plan?

Thanks for that BournemouthPlumber, yes I should have qualified - plan to have both cold direct from mains and cold softened at the kitchen sink. Figured it was worth doing while I can.
Anyone else got any thoughts on what I plan?

Yes, if you're getting a boiler with an aluminium heat exchanger make sure however you fill the system it is with with unsoftened water. If it's got a stainless steel heat exchanger, don't worry.

Purely personal preference of mine - unvented cylinder of stainless steel

Sponsored Links
I was planning on having a mains fed unsoftened feed to the boiler fill loop etc.
So has anyone used Hep2o in floor screed? are there any better solutions?

Hep is fine mate,try and use duct if any pipes have problem then at least you can cut it out and pull another through,this the big advanatage of having duct pipe installed in the screed ,it will be future proof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back