Plastic Recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Please tell me that is your idea of humour.

I believe that the levels of plastic pollution in seas has gone beyond being caused by picnickers or message in a bottle freaks, the waste is entering the sea on an industrial scale.
Perhaps it's time to examine where industrial quantities of waste are shipped to and what happens to it after that rather than take the position that once it leaves our shores it's no longer our responsibility.

Perhaps it's time to examine where industrial quantities of waste are shipped to and what happens to it after that rather than take the position that once it leaves our shores it's no longer our responsibility.
Exactly and well said.

Sponsored Links
Or you don't GAF about it?

Councils receive hundreds of complaint letters a week. Lets hope they recycle all that paper properly.

Using up the earth's resources should concern everyone. But I wouldn't let these concerns fill my waking hours, as there's very little we can do about it. If we want to live in a consumer society there's going to be a hell of a lot of waste - not just plastic. I would just be satisfied that we're a lot better at recycling than were say 40 years ago (but we did use a lot less resources then) - and it's getting better all the time.

And some of the biggest causes of pumping microplastic into the environment go completely unseen and we can do little about it.

Much of the clothing we wear is made up from plastic - nylon, polyester, acrylics - its all plastic.
and when we wash these items some of the fibres are washed into the environment,
if we wash 5 items per week and each item looses 0.5 grams of these fibres
then that is 60,000 tons of microplastics going into our rivers and seas every year.
and that is just the UK

And then there is car tyres, tyres are essentially plastic, they may look like rubber, but they are basically a toxic plastic.
tyres wear something like 0.1g per vehicle per mile (inc HGVs), but here in the UK we have 320billion vehicle miles travel per year
There's another 32,000 tons of toxic microplastics that is going into the environment.

And that is just the UK, and we're just a tiny little island.

I believe that the levels of plastic pollution in seas has gone beyond being caused by picnickers or message in a bottle freaks, the waste is entering the sea on an industrial scale.
Pleased to hear you were being humerous..Plastic polution is a grave problem for all of us.

so how is that our fault?

was watching the Anti British Broadcasting Company news this evening and they were making it sound as though we are to blame - if Turkey are getting paid to take it, then it has nothing to do with us anymore.
If you pay someone to dispose of waste from your household, and you go for the cheapest option, it will probably be some do as you likey, and they will dump it. If the rubbish is traceable to you, who do you think will be fined. Your rubbish, your responsibility.

If you pay someone to dispose of waste from your household, and you go for the cheapest option, it will probably be some do as you likey, and they will dump it. If the rubbish is traceable to you, who do you think will be fined. Your rubbish, your responsibility.
If the company I have used is traceable and I have receipts then they will be fined - I would not use them again but I would not be to blame for my rubbish being dumped illegally.

And that is my gripe with the anti-british BBC, it was portraying the UK as the bad guys - yes we should stop using these companies in turkey, but ultimately it is they who should be brought to book.

Plastic can also be recycled back to into its main constituent which is oil.
I don't know they don't do more of it.
There is a site near Grimsby that does this. Not huge, as the technology is still in its infancy. It only takes low grade plastics that is no good for recycling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back