Plastic welding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two vanes have broken off the motor fan blade on my air compressor.
I tried to glue them back on with a two part epoxy resin adhesive. This appeared to work but the two vanes came off when I ran the motor.

Has anybody got any suggestions as to how I might weld these two vanes back on (suitable plastic weld adhesive/solvent)? I also have a gas soldering iron with a small 'blow torch' type attachment. Has anyone successfully used one of these to weld plastics? If so, any suggestions as to where I might obtain plastic welding rods?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice offered.

Sponsored Links
Didn't have any luck with the manufacturers website - they don't appear to be too interested in after-sales support. I will try and dig out the paperwork that came with the compressor to see if there are any contact details.

Sponsored Links
Different types of plastics require different types of "glue". For example the stuff I use on acrylics and acrylic/poly co-polymers (as used in solid surface worktops) is a 2-pack isocyanate, but it has only low mechanical strength. Other types of plastic (most notably PVCu) can be glued using a solvent cement. Without knowing which type of plastic your fan blade is it's impossible to even start guessing. Do you know if it is a nylon, polyethylene or something harder?

Scrit

I'd relly look into getting a new one, if you glue it, chances are it wont be 100% straight and blanaced therefore causeing it to wobble, which will in turn stress the bearings and potentially cost a lot more than a fan.
Not much help lol but thats my feelings on the subject.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back