How to repair broken cast iron Fireplace / Mantle shelf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

AS you can see from the photo, gravity has reshaped the fireplace.
I've all but a tiny piece on the outside curve of the shelf.

What is the best way to repair it?

I've read on here people suggesting JB Weld Epoxy http://www.amazon.co.uk/J-B-Weld-Original-Epoxy-Adhesive/dp/B0006O1ICE

I was thinking I would get a thin plate of metal to act as a split on the underneath to give it some support, use the Epoxy to stick it all together, plus build up the missing piece, which can then be sanded back into shape.

Any thoughts or better ways to repair?

Thanks
[/img]

Sponsored Links
If you don't trust epoxy it's worth noting that cast iron can also be nickel brazed, welded with nickel rods using an arc (stick) welder or MIG welded using a 308 stainless steel wire

What you propose is fine, epoxy is a very strong adhesive and better still if you can give it support underneath.
It's possible to bronze weld cast iron if you know a local welder, consider building missing areas up with car body filler ( sorry, minute screen so can't see much detail).
John :)

Sponsored Links
The only other option I can think of is a mechanical mend, drilled and tapped for screws. Doesn't look possible here. It looks very thin. If you use epoxy, then as John says you'll need something behind to increase the strength and the bond area. Areas where you put reinforcing need to be abraded back to the bare metal and "keyed" (not the joint edge itself obviously as that needs to be as invisible as poss.) and everything degreased.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back