Cast Iron Downpipe Broken Collar Repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Got a cast iron downpipe with a broken collar, when it rains quite hard the water spills out of the broken section.

I know it may be best to replace but is there a way that a good quality repair can be facilitated? The back of the pipe is rusty but no leaks as far as I can see.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Looks like a previous repair has been made.

You could carefully remove down to the bare metal and use a mesh and filler like isopon, but that may only be a temporary fix as the corrosion seems to be established.

Blup

These videos give an overview of some the options

Blup

Hi blup,

Great video thanks.. sounds like aluminium mesh and isopon may be the way to go.

How would I use the mesh as I am not able to hold it inside the pipe? Would I just overlap it a bit at the top of the hole?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Assuming the hole was not to big to do it this way - With the mesh ready cut to size, you would apply the filler to the pipe, then press the mesh into the filler, followed by more filler on top.

Otherwise, you would have to attach something to the mesh, so you could place it at the inside of the hole, to act as a base for the filler. A bit of string or wire attached to the mesh, then once set you could chop it off. You could then maybe grind it to improve the finish and add more filler as need to any low spots.

As appearance isn't crucial in this case you could lay the mesh over the outside of the hole and apply the filler.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back