Plate Warmers

That's the thing, they should be on their own circuits with 16A outlets, or that's what our electrician said, but the guy who built the hotel didn't do it properly and it's too big a job to convince the boss to do.

I'm not a qualified electrician, but I have an NVQ3 in Electrical Engineering which our electrician seems to be happy with to tell me to do the odd job before he checks it out, like changing cover plates and switch covers when they get broken.

Because this has been a problem before, I did call him out to have a look at it, and he said what I started the message with but I was busy doing something else in the hotel while he was looking at them so he never got a chance to explain it fully to me. I'll try getting in touch with the manufacturer and seeing if they can advise anything on the bulbs.

I didn't at any point say I wasn't going to get something sorted about the plate warmers and their overheating. I'm well aware how dangerous it is and want it sorting out straight away. My point was, that isn't what the post was originally about but that's what it's turned into.

Anyway, instead of bickering about it, I've just had a call from the lads who service the kitchen equipment who say they should have 300W bulbs in them but can take 500W bulbs although if they're melting the plugs we should just use 300W bulbs. I pointed out to him that they currently only have 300W bulbs in them and they're still melting plugs. He said he'd get back to me. Strange thing is I can't find any ID plates on the units. The only print at all is on the castors on the bottom of them which has nothing to do with the manufacturers of the plate warmers.

God knows how you got away with the wrong voltage lamps. I accidentally fitted a load of 110v bulbs in a 240v system (they'd been put in a box of 240v bulbs by the previous owner before anyone makes any remarks) a while back, and they went off instantly.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back