Platform for painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i had my stairs ceiling and walls to paint and did not want to use ladders with scaffold planks across, so I made a 2 legged table to straddle 2 stairs for a flat platform to set my ladder on! I have felt really comfortable using this platform, much nicer than the tight rope scafford planks!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 141
Sponsored Links
It seems like a lot of effort for not much return...you can't reach much higher with that than if you stood on the stairs themselves.

I am able to place the ladder on the platform, with the top of the ladder resting on the left hand side of the wall.
It made the painting much easier for me!

Last edited:
Ah, I see. I somehow doubt it would pass current safety at work standards though... The lip you have added round two edges serves no use at all, does it? It certainly won't prevent the ladder coming off.

Sponsored Links
Ah, I see. I somehow doubt it would pass current safety at work standards though... The lip you have added round two edges serves no use at all, does it? It certainly won't prevent the ladder coming off.

I don't need it to pass any health and safety,it is for my own personal use in my own home! I have found the lip to be fine, I have spent the last 2 days up and down the ladder and it has not moved at all.

I am a bit of a loss as to which way you are pitching the ladder, is the heel of the ladder being secured by the stairs if so why need the platform?

If the heel is just resting on the Platform the opposite way the platform is unsecure and could move thus being dangerous.

I am a bit of a loss as to which way you are pitching the ladder, is the heel of the ladder being secured by the stairs if so why need the platform?

If the heel is just resting on the Platform the opposite way the platform is unsecure and could move thus being dangerous.

I have taken the platform down for the week end, but just placed it back together so I could take this photo. I have been using it like this but with the ladder extended fully.
I have also screwed the platform to the stair tread, so no movement :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 122
By screwing down the platform should stop it from moving, but you have no protection from "kick back" if the heel of the ladder slips.

By using this basic DIY safety device on top of the platform this would reduce the problem of the heel of the ladder moving, a useful tool for LOW LEVEL maintenance work off a ladder indoors and out ( no requirement to tie off the base of the ladder) useful for decorating/window cleaning purposes.

RojakStopper5.jpg

I don't see where everyone's confusion has come from - this kind of platform has been around for a long time. It isn't very practical for the professional decorator (and certainly wouldn't meet H&S standards) as the measurements of treads and risers on other staircases will vary, meaning the platform will not fit/be safe to use on other jobs. For a DIY'er in their own home, who doesn't have access to scaffold boards, it would prove more practical and also easier for family members to use the stairs. The only issue there would be is the ladder tipping sideways down the stairs, but as long as the platform is level and secure, and by following general ladder safety rules, everything should be fine.
I like what you've done, and I think your whole point in posting was to show other DIYer's a simple way of accessing a hard to reach area. :)

I agree with above ^^^^
The problem I do see is that the Ladder could be a bit steep when working on it taking into account of the width of the stair from wall to stair rail, and care should be taken to stop it slipping sideways by not over reaching when working on the ladder.
There are several different types of Ladder /Stair adjustable ladder heel fittings on the market, once fitted one does not have to keep moving a platform and screwing it down. With this type in the Illustration if the stairs are narrow just one leg can be used with the heel of the ladder placed on the upper step

The average Hallway/Stair/ Landing is normally out of reach of the capabilities of most DIYer`s

stair_levelers.gif

I don't see where everyone's confusion has come from - this kind of platform has been around for a long time. It isn't very practical for the professional decorator (and certainly wouldn't meet H&S standards) as the measurements of treads and risers on other staircases will vary, meaning the platform will not fit/be safe to use on other jobs. For a DIY'er in their own home, who doesn't have access to scaffold boards, it would prove more practical and also easier for family members to use the stairs. The only issue there would be is the ladder tipping sideways down the stairs, but as long as the platform is level and secure, and by following general ladder safety rules, everything should be fine.
I like what you've done, and I think your whole point in posting was to show other DIYer's a simple way of accessing a hard to reach area. :)
Exactly! I just put the post up to help others, it has worked for me and I have managed to paint my ceiling
The platform only cost me my time as the wood was from my wood pile!!

The problem I do see is that the Ladder could be a bit steep when working on it taking into account of the width of the stair from wall to stair rail...

That is a good point - ladders at steep angles (or shallow for that matter) should be avoided, but is some cases there is little option. A bonus of Tigger90's is that you could get a basic 3-way ladder closer to, and higher up, a facing stairwell wall, helping to gain access to those awkward points at the top centre of the side wall(s), if you don't have access to a longer ladder/boards.

(Not once have I ever had a 3-way ladder at a shallow angle, while standing sideways on the rungs, leaning backwards with a paint kettle in one hand and a paintbrush in the other, praying that my tonnage didn't buckle the ladder and cause a major catastrophe, just to save me the bother of setting up a more suitable means of access. Nope, No Siree, not me, never!!) :whistle:

The problem I do see is that the Ladder could be a bit steep when working on it taking into account of the width of the stair from wall to stair rail...

That is a good point - ladders at steep angles (or shallow for that matter) should be avoided, but is some cases there is little option. A bonus of Tigger90's is that you could get a basic 3-way ladder closer to, and higher up, a facing stairwell wall, helping to gain access to those awkward points at the top centre of the side wall(s), if you don't have access to a longer ladder/boards.

(Not once have I ever had a 3-way ladder at a shallow angle, while standing sideways on the rungs, leaning backwards with a paint kettle in one hand and a paintbrush in the other, praying that my tonnage didn't buckle the ladder and cause a major catastrophe, just to save me the bother of setting up a more suitable means of access. Nope, No Siree, not me, never!!) :whistle:
The angle hasn't been too bad,it has not felt unsteady at all!!
Give the guy a break - it's a good idea. Personally I just use an expendable roller pole.
Thanks Joe-90, but I am pretty sure I am not a guy!!! Lol I use the extendable pole as well but that don't work for the cutting in!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back