Pleae help Ideal Gas Combi Boiler won't ignite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I know absolutely nothing about boilers, but my Ideal combi boiler doesn't always ignite. It makes a clicking sound and then I can hear the gas coming out, but then nothing. Sometimes it does ignite and all is well. However, the other morning I set it to come on early and it hadn't. It had been pumping out gas for over an hour, but no ignition.

I live in the Croydon area and am worried about being ripped off. The boiler is only 5 years old, but my concern is I will be told to buy a new boiler.

Does anyone know whether I should call out an boiler expert or whether I could try and fix this myself?

Thanks so much.

A lady living on her own.

Sponsored Links
Oh, and another thing, when I used to turn on the hot water tap, the boiler would ignite. Now, it doesn't at all.

If your boiler really was "pumping out gas" as you say, then that would be highly dangerous.

In reality I dont think thats the case and you would not normally hear any gas.

You dont bother to tell us your model of boiler. Ideal have made about 50 different models over the last 30 years and there were still about 10 being installed five years ago.

You ask if we will help you fix your boiler. The answer to that is a resounding NO unless you are CORGI registered.

You are frightened of "being ripped off". I take that as an insult to the trade. Whilst there are certainly a very few cowboys the vast majority of boiler engineers are totally trustworthy.

If you are so untrusting of us then why not call British Gas?

Tony

Tony,

Please don't be so hostile to a first timer :) I am sure you will agree that there are many of us who have been charged for unnecessary work (me included on two occasions). After these bad experiences, I am understandably worried about making a mistake. Others on this forum have requested engineer recommendations, which is what I was merely trying to obtain. I've no doubt there are some great engineers in my area, but how will I find them if I don't ask?

It's not that I can't be bothered to give a model no. - I just don't have any paperwork as the boiler was here when I moved in!

Some people on these forums have talked about 'cleaning' areas or 'resetting' so this is why I thought it would be something I could do myself.

Please allow for the fact that some of us know nothing about boilers. My intention was not to annoy anyone.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back