Please advise about what to do with this pain of a wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, Im new here and I am stuck as what to do best with the rear garden wall.
Have added a pic.
Basically moved in last year. There was a load of awful bushes on the top of this wall and weeds etc. I had all of the bushes removed and put a membrane on to stop further weeds from coming up. As the wall is about 6 foot high, I dont want anything growing up there that will need maintaining as its too high for me to keep getting up.
I would prefer to have a clean top to it as it is, however I am having to hold the membrane in place with bricks. I would like to be able to remove the bricks as they look a sight, so I thought about how viable is it to sort of hollow out the top ledge and place cement that is not visable when just standing and looking at the wall.
Thsi could also help in future when the fences need coating as it would be easy to stand on.
What would you do? and if the cement idea is ok, what cement would you use and how would you go about it? any feedback appreciated.
Thanks
Bextar

Sponsored Links
ooo dont know whats happening, its showing before i submit the message?

Until i figure it out I have added it to my profile.
thanks

Sponsored Links
I would treat the fence dark brown, that would look nice and the ground cover could be 'pinned down', I think you can buy pegs from garden centres or use a metal coat hanger. Cut off the hook bit and straighten out, then bend in the middle to make a U shape and press through the ground cover. Spiking it into the earth.

You could then plant ground cover plants that spread out and cover the ground cover sheeting.

Andy

@ Hertsdrainage. Thanks for the advice. I will actually take on the idea of treating the fence a dark brown. TY
Regarding the pegging down of the cover, I have already tried that but because the top is so unlevel it still shows the membrane which I dont like.
I would like to do something permanent that is not seen from eye level, hence querying the possibilty of cementing the top somehow???
Whatever I do I really dont want to see it from the garden when standing.

Any suggestions.?
Thanks

Who's responsible for the retaining wall, the fence may not be the boundary marker.

Who owns the fence ,if you dont own it you cant paint it.

Hi thanks
I am allowed to paint it : )
its the least of my worries as that will come last. The wall boundaries are owned by the local council and I have permission to make the wall safe.
If thats what you meant.

Bex

The best way to treat the fence is with a 'garden sprayer' (see below)
The best fence treatment is Cuprinol, get the spirit based one.
http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...log_result&ct=image&resnum=5&ved=0CEEQ8gIwBA#

Make sure you wear old clothes incase there is any over spray.

The best plants to grow in your ground cover, are evergreen ground plants that spread out and will hang over the wall. They don't go up only across.
The link below is one that I found but I'm sure you could try your local B & Q
http://www.best4plants.co.uk/browse.aspx?CatID=21

All your need now is dry weather.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back