Heringbone drive, cleared, powerwashed, Now What????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Ive recently moved into a new house and the drive was laid with heringbone(sp) bricks. The drive hadnt really been looked after, there were weeds growing throughout, I pulled all the weeds out and spent 5 hours yesterday powerwashing the whole drive, removing all the muddy deposits between the bricks where the weeds had been growing, question is.

Do i now need to point/ brush sand and cement into the whole lot?

Should i treat with weedkiller for a period prior to doing this?

Any advice would be appreciated

Andy

Sponsored Links
You need to buy some kiln dried sand an brush it back and forth to fill the joints and stop the whole lot moving around. (long term i mean. Its not going to do it overnight or anything)

If its small, like under 50m sq, treat it now and after with pathclear or similar. If its bigger then sand it first. There are sealing products but i personally wouldn't recommend any of them, others may have found one that works.

Easiest way to keep it depending on size will be to buy some industrial bleach and scrubb it on every few months. This will keep it clean and moss/ algae free as well as killing weeds.

Be caeful with the runoff though as your lawn won't appreciate it.

its very fine when dry and can be swept into the gaps very easily, and fills them fully, as opposed to more coarse sand that leaves voids and weakens the paving bond

Sponsored Links
youre welcome, did you see my reply about the walling to the pond you asked about in tools and materials breezer?

there are some great sealants that will stop staining, surpress weeds and leave a nice satin finish.

treat it now and after with pathclear or similar.

IMHO the new formula Pathclear is NBG (I think there are quite a few posts on other websites saying the same thing too). Very expensive, doesn't kill lots of types of weeds, definitely doesn't suppress new ones growing up. Nothing like it used to be!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back