Low clearance decking over patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to deck over an existing patio, the main issue is the low clearance from the door sill. There is roughly 75mm from the patio tiles to underneath the door sill and 100mm to the top of the door sill. Therefore I would need to use thinner joists or lay them flat.

Will it be a problem to use 2x4 timbers layed flat along the patio? I figured it will be supported in more places so it would hold up. What is the best way to keep the timbers off the patio itself (in terms of dampness)- plastic packers/shims? Additionally, the patio has lots of gaps between the tiles where the cement has crumbled away and weeds grow through, I was planning to repoint these to prevent the weeds. Do I need a weed proof membrane under the joists as well?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Weed proof membrane would be belt and braces yes, but lack of light through deck would keep most weeds at bay.

I've used thin strips of roofing felt under joists before to keep the beams from getting damp.

Personally, I wouldn't go back to a deck again, much prefer slabs

Sponsored Links
The previous owners of our house repaved over the top of existing concrete "council" slabs with a York stone look paver. Looks great, just be careful not to go higher than your DPC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back