Please advise how to cut off a 6mm thick redundant bracket on an exhaust

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bracket is about 6mm thick x 75 x 35mm, see pic, and needs to be significantly reduced in size or cut off, and I was thinking of using my 4” Wolf Grinderette and wondering which type of disc would be best, so that I wouldn’t need to apply too much pressure on the plate, so as not to damage the new exhaust? I was thinking that I will hold the plate in a vice.

I think that my car was one of the first off the production line after a model change, and I assume that the bracket was used on the earlier version but not on my later version. The exhaust on my car looks like the factory actually cut through the welds, but I don’t fancy doing that for fear of damaging the exhaust.

Attachments

• IMG_5090.png
    IMG_5090.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Standard 115mm grinder with a thin cutting disc will do it, I'd cut round the weld and leave it in place if it's not in the way, if you attempt to grind it flush you may risk making a hole in the exhaust

A metal cutting blade from Screwfix etc will eat that.

Are you sure it's 4" and not 4 1/2"?

Sponsored Links
A metal cutting blade from Screwfix etc will eat that.

Are you sure it's 4" and not 4 1/2"?

Thanks, yes I’ve still got the box it came in, it’s a Wolf 4708 and it says 4” / 100mm, could be 30 or 40 years old!

Could have done that with a hacksaw in the time it took to ask how to do it ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back