Fiat Brava Brake Fittings.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's a story.

I have an old banger which I use for my dogs as they were ruining the inside of the new car. It's a Fiat Brava, 1.4 petrol and has served us well over the last 18 months or so. Last week though, I took it for a pre-MOT as it is due soon and it failed on pads, discs and the exhaust. I've done all the work on it myself, including brand new discs, pads and exhaust from the cat to the back.

However, when I bled the brakes, I noticed that the N/S hose was bulging, so I must've damaged it when I changed the discs/pads on that side. Today, whilst trying to change the hose, I broke the rigid pipe just as it joins the flexi hose. I've used a screw to plug the rigid pipe but I can't remove the nut from the old hose as it is rounded off, a common problem when doing hoses apparently.

So I will now have to get a new fitting, I think it is a male nut. Also, being as the rigid hose is broken, I will need to flare it. What's the best way of doing this, without hopefully getting a flaring tool? Also, the male nut had an 11mm head on it, ie. I used an 11mm spanner to try and undo it so what size is the actual nut and are the threads a standard cut?

Any other help/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dale.

Sponsored Links
The only way to do it is to get a new pipe made up, which most decent motor factors will do if you take the old pipe in to them.
Ideally you need to use a flare nut wrench as these grip on 5 sides of the flare nut other than just the 2 with an open ended spanner. It's a common mistake for people to use an open ender, and 90% of the time they will round off!
Probably looking at up to 20 quid for the pipe, and under a fiver for a flare nut wrench.
Most nuts are M10x1mm, but not sure on fiat's

Thanks for that mate.

I did indeed get a new pipe made up and the car has just gone through its MOT and passed, so I have a ticket for another year.

The plan is to run it for another 8 months or so, sell it and get something abit newer for the dogs.

Once again, thanks. :D

Sponsored Links
Back