Please advise on Dunsley Baker Neutraliser system. Advanced

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I would like to ask any experienced heating engineers if they can provide any information on the Dunsley Baker Neutralizer system. Basically it is an exchange chamber that allows water heated by a wood burner to enter the central heating system.

My father is an experienced heating engineer and I am also undergoing my gas engineers training and working for my father, so basically we want to get some fresh minds on this subject.

Please see the images, I have labelled these. Here is the link to the Website for the product also:

http://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/neutralizer.html

I would like to stress that we did not fit the original system, we have only replaced the boiler for a good Vaillant 415 Heat only. Looking at the diagram on the Dunsleheat website, it appears that the original installation is missing some of the original components; injector tees and spring valves ect. It does not appear to be installed as it should.

Lets start with the heat only boiler, on the wall as normal, flow and return all piped up. All wired up, no problems. The 3 Port Motorised Valve, Pump, CH Stat, DHW Cycl Stat are all wired in the Airing Cupboard (on GF) into a Y plan box and sent over to the boiler with 3x 2 core and earth standard wires. It meets the timer clock, boiler and switch spur ect. Robert is your mothers brother... it works no problems.

Now we come to the Wood Burner. You light it and it cranks away the water rises from the wood burner in 28mm, it heats the "expansion radiator" above. Convection takes the heated water to the Neutralizer where it should enter the chamber and heat some of the water and return back down the return pipe to the wood burner, however it does not go any further than the chamber. It does not seem to really enter the neutraliser much.

So now we use our pump and valve (please see image) that operates off the pipe stat, to bypass the other pump and motorised valve that is only controlled via the boiler. However it does not pull any heat out of the woodburner system and if left it boils. No good.

A: Flow from boiler
B: Flow to 3 port valve and the whole system
C: Hot / Flow from Wood Burner
D: Thought it was Return to fire to complete the convection current. However when we ran the CH system the pipe got hot, indicating that it is the return for the CH system, or the return is Teed into here. (It is Screeded over)
E: Fill and Expansion
F: Teed off DHW return. Closed gate valve.
x: Blanked.

Basically we don't want it to boil and cant move the water out of the hot flow pipe. Why wont the convection repeat?

We thought that the water would enter in C and leave through D back to the Wood Burner. However running the CH we found that D got hot, indicating that it was returning heat from the CH system, therefore flowing the opposite way than originally thought.

We are considering pumping C into the neutraliser to disperse the heat and possibly using non return valves if needs be to protect returns and pumps.

I will appreciate any help that you can give. We have tried many things. Feel free to e-mail [email protected] and leave comments here.

Many Thanks
:evil: Matt :evil:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the information. We have also thought airlock and tried to account for this. Can it be to do with the differing pipe lengths?

For example would it be beneficial to have flow and return the same length similar to a BBU?

Sponsored Links
If there is a gravity circuit between the neutralizer and stove and you've had that drained and the stove is now boiling then you likely have an air lock.
As said connect a hose and establish a forced flow.

I'm guessing its an up and under circuit in a single storey dwelling and the flow from the stove has passed into the loft and back down again to the neutralizer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back