Please can anyone help me with my security lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've recently moved into a new house which has a lantern style light either side of the garage. These come on as soon as it gets dark and don't turn off until morning, due to a little sensor fixed high above the garage roof.
I have just changed these lights for new ones with built in PIR sensors, as I only want them on when someone crosses them, not on all night, as I'll run up a huge bill! The lights are all connect up, but they are still staying on all night. I cut a wire which I thought was the sensor, but it knocked the lights out completely. The lights are wired in through a junction box. There are 3 seperate cables going into the jun tion box, one for each light and a other which comes through the garage wall.
Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What make are the lights?

Can you post a link?

Are you able to put a temporary plug with a 3amp fuse on one of them to test it?

The three wires would perhaps be power and feed to each light but it could be via the original sensor, very hard to say.

How many wires come into the original sensor?

You may well have cut the correct wire, but you overlooked what it was doing. The sensor acts as the switch, so the power goes via that switch; by cutting it you've stopped power going to the lights. You need to do some rerouting of the power so it goes to the lights with their motion sensors, not via something else.

PJ

Sponsored Links
The way the old set up (with the photocell) worked was that to the photocell there was a neutral and a permanent live.
Coming back from the photocell will be a switched live (only on when its dark) and possibly a neutral.

You need to find out where the permanent live comes from, and divert it to both of your PIR lights. It may be the cable that comes through the garage wall - it may have a switch on it, on the other side of the wall??

Then follow the instructions that came with the lights. They are probably on all the time because you have activated the pulse over-ride mode.
Or you haven't followed the wiring diagram properly, or you still have the lights in test mode.

Thanks everyone for your replies
Truth is I don't know exactly what I'm looking at, so will get an electrician in to have a look
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back