Please check if this is OK for Garage Wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can someone just check that this is sufficient for when i'm insulating the garage. Also attached a pic :D

Single skim brick wall with 3 piers (I think that's what they're called)
Attach Battons to wall
Put insulation between battons - making sure the piers are covered as well
Place plaster board on battons
Skim plaster board

Is this OK or can it be done better.

1) I didn't know if a vapour barrier was needed anywhere
2) do you need to leave a bit of breathing space between the wall and plaster board or is it ok to fill it all with insulation.
3) Is it ok for the battons to go straight from the wall to plasterboard? Or should a frame be created away from the wall.

Thank you as ever :cool:

Sponsored Links
It's OK, but there is a chance of getting pattern staining on the plaster or decorations in line with the timber battens - this is due the timber being colder than the insulated wall each side of it

A better way would be to have an additional continuous layer of insulation across the timbers. Or insulated plasterboard

If the insulation is foil coated then tape the joints and that is the vapour barrier. Otherwise use foil-backed plasterboard or have a layer of thin polythene behind the plasterboard

Its OK to have the frame and insulation on the wall with no air space

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back