PLEASE HELP!! 10 years recurring damp. Tried everything

Something wrong with the pic of the door and step, the plinth should be below the dpc which should be below the door threshold, yours clearly is not.Either plinth is too high or the door is below the dpc, which is unlikely.

Sponsored Links
what was the thing about sticking abit of foil to the wall to check condensation or penetrating damp

you tape a clear piece of plastic tightly to the wall.

Something wrong with the pic of the door and step, the plinth should be below the dpc which should be below the door threshold, yours clearly is not.Either plinth is too high or the door is below the dpc, which is unlikely.

When we moved here the porch had been built a couple of years befor, and it had an old brick step in front of the door. We had a new drive laid 3 years ago, and we asked the guy if this could have been a contributing factor. He said it could have been as the top slab was cemented to the house wall. Unlike the new block paved step which is not. I think this is where the dpc can be seen? Just below the top of the step? I will check again tomorrow. Would it be inline/run at the bottom of the air brick? Like a rough rubbery line of pointing?

Sponsored Links
I have just done a bit of measureing, and added another album of pics. I measured on the outside from the front wall to the front of the step, and mirrored this measurement on the inner wall (taking into account the depth of the window recess ect. I have marked on the wall where the front of the step comes, then where the plinth comes, and then realised that the rest upto the plug socket is actually an internal wall (the porch is the other side of it, and there is no dampness on the walls whatsoever out there)

This just gets more and more weird :rolleyes:

you tape a clear piece of plastic tightly to the wall.

One big problem with this idea is that it would have to be stuck onto a dry part of the wall. Which does not get wet :?: If I stick it on where it is wet already it will be wet on the underside :idea:

Put Xmas decs in loft, so had a good look round up there too. Smells a little 'musky' but no wet patches. Checked the front of house roof support wall, no sign of any leaks or any wetness at all.
You`ve got flooring and carpet there ( for your storage ) then a thick insulation - the insulation is fine , the flooring and carpet aren`t :cry: Previously you mentioned the loft was full of conden. - you need to clear the loft and let the moisture come up through the ceilings and get blown away - Harsh , maybe but exactly what I had to do in my present bungalow :idea: I do have a small storage area but it`s well above the top of the insulation . The place was riddled with mould when we bought it ( got it cheaper because of that ) Those metal air vents - do they actually go straight through to the underfloor ( I`m assuming it`s a wooden floor ) Mine didn`t - they kind of offset through the cavity - until I got under the floor with a hammer+chisel ;) . Also where do the rainwater pipes go , maybe into old broken pipes underground , letting water sit around the house . Have you got an open fire - that`s a good one for ventilation ( had to uncover and re instate ours )

Have you got condensation in your loft??

If so then you have probably got a non-breathable felt, a customer of mine asked me to look at her loft, she had plastic sheets draped over her stuff to keep them dry and the condensation had created ponds. The cure was to fit 4 air vent tiles on the roof, sorted. :cool:

Sounds like too many remedies which have sealed dampness into the walls rather than letting them breathe to eradicate the moisture. The whole lot needs stripping back and allowed to dry out. Condensation is almost certainly at the root of the internal problem from the pattern of the dampness also given the evidence of condensation in the loft - as per previous posts this is again due to poor ventilation.
Some harsh measures needed especially while trying to live in the property but keeping the walls clear of any furniture etc plus lots of circulating air should eventually dry it out but no miracle cure for this and definitely no more sealing on walls.

Hi guys, sorry not been on here for a while, but have been looking into some of the suggestions you have given. Thanks all bye the way.

Particularly about the "cement plinth bridging the dpc" & letting the place breathe.

We haven't actually done anything different yet, except read up on things.

Running dehumidifier on constant, just to keep levels down, but walls still about the same :(

I found this website, that is particularly interesting ( I will add a link to it when I can) http://www.heritage-house.org/pages/damp-and-condensation/the-fraud-of-rising-damp.html

Has some really interesting 'facts' about the "myth" of rising damp ect

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back