Please help: buying a house and completion certificate?

Thanks, and you are right info tend to over think situations and flap haha!!

What you say is what i initially thought and still hope for, but with what you said about the bank using the property as security if we default etc. that's where i started to think would they want to be left with a unfinished house to sell on should they have to repossess etc? I so hope you are right, reaaaaaaallllyyyy want this place bad and would take us a good while to get over it of we couldn't. So sorry to flap but this is the only area for concern and just wanted to see if anyone had been through this before and could shed some light on it. Really appreciate all the input so far from everyone.

Sponsored Links
As mentioned all mortgage lenders have different criteria and all house sales when there are underlying issues are different so nobody on this forum will really be able to answer you. You will just have to let it run its course and see what if anything crops up. What does your solicitor say about all this, they also act for the mortgage lender.

I appreciate this and know I will have to just wait and see I suppose, with regards to the solicitor i know they also act for the banks interests and with this in mind have tried not to highlight the fact to much with them as scared they will look at this more closely and almost make an issue of it to the bank.
Crazy thing is I'm paying the solicitor but almost feels they could work against me haha.
If the worst come to the worst I hope for a retention rather than a flat out...we can't borrow you anything on this house, time will tell!

Crazy thing is I'm paying the solicitor but almost feels they could work against me haha.
You jest but this is exactly what can happen, once there is a conflict of interest they can no longer act for both parties as they are at present. Furthermore when it happens (albeit rarely) the solicitor is unable (due to data protection) to tell the lender why they can no longer act for both parties and consequently lenders understandably get very nervous about this kind of thing and withdraw their offer.

But really I probably shouldn’t have told you that! :mrgreen:

So stop worrying and keep quiet unless your solicitor knows your concerns already.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a plan to me haha!! Mums the word and hope for the best! I will let you know and continue this thread once we are against or over the hurdle as so to speak, thanks again.

For your peace of mind I would ask your BCO for a letter detailing what's outstanding for them to issue a Final Certificate. Just to make sure there are no hidden issues for you to discover later like no soak away or a problem with drainage or something.

For your peace of mind I would ask your BCO for a letter detailing what's outstanding for them to issue a Final Certificate. Just to make sure there are no hidden issues for you to discover later like no soak away or a problem with drainage or something.

Update: everything is now looking ok and we are exchanging after the bank hols :)

With regards to the drains we are putting in a new run on the gable with new SVP, on the gable there is also the down pipe from the guttering rainwater, but currently doesn't drain to a soakaway, can we just take this underground to the main drain which the SVP will be connected to. Hope this makes sense?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back