Long winded and confusing regarding completion certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this has been answered before but just need some advice, I am keen in purchasing a house (will need to have a mortgage) that is a repossession, it was a bungalow that has been extended (it does have planning permission for this), however it does not have a completion certificate, the previous owners have also gutted it and it has some damp issues where it has been left for a number of years to sit empty.

My question is will the lack of completion certificate cause any problems and should I even go for this home without it? I have been told that we can get an indemnity insurance but if anything should happen (the house starts to fall apart :p ) will we be covered with this indemnity insurance?

Any advice appreciated please.

Sponsored Links
While obviously a completion certificate is useful, I should think that an inspection of the extension by a knowledgeable and trusted builder/surveyor/architect/architectural technologist will be able to give you an idea of how well constructed it is and if there are any defects developing or likely to.

Foundations will be unknown but this would likely translate to crack if they were poor/inadequate. If there are concerns here, dig a trial hole to check and investigate further.

Someone in the know can tell pretty quickly if it was a "cut corners" job or not.

I would not let the fact it doesnt have a certificate automatically rule out the purchase.

Hope that helps

The indemnity insurance may not cover you as the council have records of the extension.
As above, just get a proper survey done.

The indemnity insurance may not cover you as the council have records of the extension.
As above, just get a proper survey done.

Interesting as I was under the impression it would not cover us only if we enquired to the council about any of the building work or if a completion certificate does exist?

Sponsored Links
Interesting as I was under the impression it would not cover us only if we enquired to the council about any of the building work or if a completion certificate does exist?

That's true. I was just thinking of a worst case, as officially there is a record of the extension on the planning register.
But if there's no communiction between Building Control and Planning at the council offices, then I suppose you could assume that technically Building Control don't know about it.
In practice, there's a limit of two years, after which the council can't serve a s.38 Notice on you, so if it was done a few years ago, it will be time-barred.

I have been told that we can get an indemnity insurance but if anything should happen (the house starts to fall apart :p ) will we be covered with this indemnity insurance?

The indemnity will only cover the consequences of enforcement action by the Council. It doesn't cover poor workmanship, unfortunately.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back