Planning/Building Regulations Advice

The thread's now a waste of time, going nowhere, he still can't even be bothered to spend 5mins ringing BC.

Sponsored Links
The thread's now a waste of time, going nowhere, he still can't even be bothered to spend 5mins ringing BC.
Apologies for leaving that bit out, he was bothered to spend 5mins ringing the BC in fact I was on hold for nearer 30mins before I was able to speak with anyone, before being told that they were unable to discuss or offer any advice of a planning application that was not in my name. I hope that clears that up

It does, did they confirm there should have been a few inspections which they can answer without disclosing any information? Everyone on here knows there should have been but once BC has stated as much to you, you can (or could have) called out the homeower with some conviction.

It does, did they confirm there should have been a few inspections which they can answer without disclosing any information? Everyone on here knows there should have been but once BC has stated as much to you, you can (or could have) called out the homeower with some conviction.
I will give them another call tomorrow and see if I can’t obtain any of that information.

Appreciate your help/time

Sponsored Links
A little update.
I won’t lie I am now completely confused and have no idea what to do next.

Can anyone shed any light or give any advice with what I can go back with?

Appreciate any help.

So the work was done by the vendor, a builder.

It sounds like to me the builder, was probably good at building and poor at administration and never bothered applying for building regs (I’d guess they intended it to be their forever home and weren't that bothered)

Every builder in the land knows each building stage has to be signed off, especially foundations.

As it is the bungalow wont get a conventional mortgage, so the vendors have a choice of either a serious discount, or getting building regs.

Apologies for leaving that bit out, he was bothered to spend 5mins ringing the BC in fact I was on hold for nearer 30mins before I was able to speak with anyone, before being told that they were unable to discuss or offer any advice of a planning application that was not in my name. I hope that clears that up
You weren't asking for case specific information - you just need to know if it is policy to only inspect properties at the end of the job? (It isn't but that's what you've been told so you might as well rule it out)

Mr Rusty is quite right, mortgage lenders will lend on anything as long as they can get their money back if it all goes t1ts up. Thousands of properties are sold with part complete extensions. What lenders won't do is lend when they are not sure of the situation. What you need is a simple report to say that work is in progress, that building regulations is registered and stage inspections have been carried out and the work completed is to an acceptable standard. The seller should be able to provide this easily and if they can't there's something wrong? You got to this stage before and the seller said (something along the lines of) staged inspections aren't available because the local authority building control policy is to only inspect at the end of the job. This is why you need to knock that on the head and get to the real reason why they cannot provide this simple information.

Really appreciate all of your input. I will get back on the phone tomorrow to the council and see what I can find out and highlight what you have all said to my ‘solicitor’

Another little update.
I have just got off the phone with Folkestone & Hythe planning, they have told me that all the sellers need to do is to submit an unauthorised works, book a site visit for inspection, if the inspections all pass, then building regulations will be granted. He looked a little into the case and saw that the sellers have recently (within the last two weeks) submitted for unauthorised works.

Why the man I spoke to last week couldnt have told me this, I will never know. Probably as it was late in the day, he couldnt be bothered and wanted to go home. Would have saved a lot of stress!

If I were you I would find a local surveyor that could provide you with a comprehensive condition and status report, negotiate with your lender/solicitor to agree that the report will allow the sale to proceed and then offer the vendor to proceed at a substantial discount, subject to the findings of the report.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back