Lack of Building Regulation Approval

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased my home in 2007 and the sellers paid for Restrictive Covenant and Building Regulations indemnity policies. These are in our names and started in 2007 and I assume they run for as long as we own the property? This related to the fact that they constructed a conservatory in 2003 without consent from the home company that built the house and that the conservatory does not have a door dividing it from the kitchen. As a consequence it is not exemption from Building Regulation Approval.

I am now selling and having to complete my seller paperwork and indemnities is part of it. Just wondered if this is going to cause me major problems after 6 years.

Would the new sellers have to take out the same indemnity policies?

Is it likely that the council could still pursue this after so long?

Just trying to get it clear in my mind as I foresee my sellers could look at it, see there was no building approval and back off.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved. I have enough problems with this sale without any additional ones that could cause the sellers to pull out.

Sponsored Links
It isn't just a door thats missing-Part of the wall was taken out so its like the conservatory is part of the kitchen. That isn't an option unfortunately. Just wondered about the queries I raised re policies and time that has passed.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back