Build over agreement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The house we are waiting to exchange on had a conservatory built on the side around 1991, the property is the corner plot so there is a manhole on the front drive, this then travels diagonaly across the corner of the property to another manhole that then runs parallel across the back of 3 properties.

The conservatory is built over the diagnol sewer pipe, our solicitor is insisting the seller has to produce a build over agreement for the conservatory which was built before her ownership or purchase an indemnity policy, did build over agreements exist in the early 90's I seem to think that the water authorities only claimed ownership of sewer pipes on your property fairly recently and as such a build over agreement wouldn't have been required back then and the seller doesn't need to do anything.

Our solicitor is being quite difficult about this and refusing to accept anything other than the build over agreement or indemnity policy inspite of me instructing them it's not an issue to me as I'll be rerouting the drain shortly after moving in anyway due to building an extension.

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
The rules for BOA’s changed in 2011 so it may well have been private at the time. The conservatory may have also been exempt from BR’s, which is the normal trigger for BOA’s.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back