Please HELP!! - cold House but red hot pump??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I dont have all the info to hand at present but was hoping for some help anyway.
I do not have any CH or HW at present but the pump is red hot - so hot you cannot touch it. The boiler is oil powered and was set on 3 (out of 6). This appeared to be dead also but i have moved the dial around to 5 and the boiler has come to life but still nothing else.
The pump is an old Myson SMC SD53, i have tried to remove the centre screw but it will only withdraw about 10mm and not any further??
The water pipes are cold either side of the pump yet the pump is scalding.
Is the pump knackered or am i missing something???
Please help before kids start moaning!!!!

Sponsored Links
If the pipes either side of the pump are cold, the pump must be generating it's own heat. :eek:

I guess that's either because it's seized up, or pumping air. Can you hear it running? That's about as much help as I can be - you'll have to wait for the experts to come along!

pump is stuck or electrically buggerd inside.

pulling the large screw all the way out and turning the slotted motor screw behind it can grab you a few days or weeks but ideally you need a new pump.

edit. if its a myson the screw may not come all the way out. pull it out as far as possible and turn it by hand, if that doesnt work then nothing will.

edit on my edit. too late see below :LOL:

The pump's either stuck, or finished.
If you pull the centre screw towards you and twist, it shold locate into the spinny bit, so you can turn the rotor. If it turns easily it's not stuck!

Sponsored Links
I would say your pump is nakkered, turn ch and hw off at prog, allow pump to cool, then unscrew black knob on pump, when loose(it wont come right out) pull and turn it to see if impellor turns, then turn hw on, see if pump spins, if it doesnt its dead, if it does try it with ch as well.

If the pumps hot its trying to work but is stuck in side so turn off at clock before it burns out. as already stated unscrew the center nut to free the impellor insidethen switch back on to try.

I have pulled the screw out as much as poss and turned it by hand, it turns ok but with slight resistance so does not appear to be seized, The pump seems to be making some kind of noise but not one that is spinning??
Thanks for the replies so far - off to B&Q to get a replacement just in case!

motor is knackered then, new pump needed.

ok, new pump fitted and can hear it running so i know that it is ok BUT!
on restarting the system, the boiler started up for about 5 mins and has now gone off and will not fire back up, it is a Trianco Tro BF and runs on oil. The newly fitted pump is now permanently on and will not turn off - i have had to disconnect it for a while until i can get an answer. Obviously, something else is amiss but cannot see what it is???
Any ideas please!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back