Myson pump red hot but cool radiators

and if its the one on the right defo drain it as it wont work

as john says best to drain it down

also if you really dont feel confident call someone in who is, it could save you a lot of grief

Sponsored Links
Pics of my pump and the valves follow (pump is upside down) ...

valves.jpg
valve_close.jpg

I'm not sure if my system has a drain off but I'm guessing that one of the two highlighted areas is the drain cock?

The screw on the valves turn ok but they look like the 2nd of the two valves you put up (the type you've just warned me about Corgiman). The pipes are 22mm.

Whilst writing - can anyone tell me what model pump this is (can't see any markings on it). I've searched on the internet for MySon pumps and the closest match by looking at it is the CP53 but this looks a (very) old version!

The view from underneath (poor focus) is ...

bottom.jpg

Thanks for your help once again guys - it is really appreciated. :)

Those valves look really old and ropey, and I bet at least one of them will be jammed. Clean up the old pipework with wire wool before fitting new. The old pump is probably the same width as your new one, but try for fit before making the joints.

The drain off you show is higher than the pump, so there will still be water below the drain. See if you can find any other drains.

If one of your rads is on a hard floor that won't be harmed by water spillage, it is possible to drain by loosening a rad valve and holding a bowl underneath. Rather a slow job, though. It is also sometimes possible to screw the connector from a garden hose or a washing machine filler hose onto a radiator valve, which makes it easier to drain out of the hose into a sink or bucket.

A very handy thing to have is a radiator valve with drain-off incorporated, I have these on all my ground floor rads (but the best time to fit them is after you've drained down). So you might think about these to save you trouble next time round.
p1050790_l.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back