Please help, cut the cable on Watchmann alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Could someone please help me out: Over the weekend i decided to do some cleaning up in the attic and have accidentally snapped the alarm cable!!! I thought it was an old aerial cable so i decided to get rid of it, turns out i have cut the main alarm cable! Both bells went off an the box says "tamper" on it. We waited for the batteries to die in the bells and then have turned the mains off as well as disconnected the battery inside the alarm box (have obviously re-connected the 6 smaller cables inside the cable that i have snapped) but still no joy, it says temper on it and we cant even set the system...
On the inside of the box it says to reset the system: 4 times cut the D30. I have located the D30 transistor (i think thats what it is..) and its already cut, not sure whether the instruction means i should short it somehow.

If anyone has any ideas or advice it would be highly appreciated!

Thank You!

Sponsored Links
i bet you blew a fuse in the panel, watchman used to be a key operated thing (still has fuses)

Could you please give me some more info on that (and yes it is key operated) By blowing a fuse do you mean one of them transistor looking things or the normal fuse like we have in power sockets?

Thank you for your reply!!!

Here are some pictures of the board:

Please do not take offence at this, but if you do not know what the difference between a fuse and "one of them transistor looking things" is you should not be playing around inside the control panel.

If you touch the wrong thing you are going to get an electric shock, and that could kill.

Please get an alarm engineer to have a look and sort it for you, easy to cure if you know what you are doing.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps i phrased it wrong, so sorry about that. I have a degree in computer communications and networks so I do know the difference between a fuse and a transistor :) Its just i was confused looking at this particular circuit board as it seems to be older than i am....

But any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also on the inside it says to re-set the system: 4 times cut D30, could you please explain what this means?

Thank You!

Hi do you know what the cable was running to? You may of blown the fuse as the other gentleman said or you may have done some damage at the other end? I'm not familier with this panel as its probably older than me too, lol, but you used to have to cut a link and restore it to reset some of the very old panels? I'll post a thread on a Security Forum i'm trade member of and see what other engineers come up with for you. cheers iain.

I may of missed the info but does the panel have a model number apart from Watchman?

the probability of you getting a shcok must be so low............

i mean the glass 20mm fuses, there are 4 of them in the right corner of the picture, it does look like what i know as a watchman.

I doubt if any one else knows what one is they are very old, probably older than some posters (yes they are that old)

regarding your last comment , i am guessing here, but it sounds like they mean what is now called auto re arm,

I wouldnt bother with that old thing

the probability of you getting a shcok must be so low............

i mean the glass 20mm fuses, there are 4 of them in the right corner of the picture, it does look like what i know as a watchman.

I doubt if any one else knows what one is they are very old, probably older than some posters (yes they are that old)

regarding your last comment , i am guessing here, but it sounds like they mean what is now called auto re arm,

I wouldnt bother with that old thing

I dont want to bother with it either, but a house needs an alarm and i dont have enough money to pay for the new installation atm :(
Thank you for the fuses hint, found one that was blown!

Hi do you know what the cable was running to? You may of blown the fuse as the other gentleman said or you may have done some damage at the other end? I'm not familier with this panel as its probably older than me too, lol, but you used to have to cut a link and restore it to reset some of the very old panels? I'll post a thread on a Security Forum i'm trade member of and see what other engineers come up with for you. cheers iain.

I may of missed the info but does the panel have a model number apart from Watchman?

Thank you Iain!

The panel just says Watchmann on it and i cant seem to find any other numbers :(

I have had a look at the fuses and one of them is blown!!!! So i ordered some of them ancient glass ones off fleabay so hopefully this will sort the
"temper" side of things, but not sure it it will cure the bells... also need to find a battery somewhere to replace in all the bells.... they are actually soldered on to the chip inside the bell...

If you could post this on your forum that would be fantastic!

Thank You

"So i ordered some of them ancient glass ones off fleabay " -

"them ancient" fuses are in common use in most if not all alarm control panels of today and even in computer communication and networking equipment

- which is why I gave the advise I did, your reply proved my point.

"So i ordered some of them ancient glass ones off fleabay " -

"them ancient" fuses are in common use in most if not all alarm control panels of today and even in computer communication and networking equipment

- which is why I gave the advise I did, your reply proved my point.

Not to sound an asshole mate, but im after some help and advice, not preaching...
If i blow myself up, i blow myself up, i promise i wont hold you responsible...:)

""them ancient" fuses are in common use in most if not all alarm control panels of today and even in computer communication and networking equipment"

I haven't seen a glass fuse in over 5 years and i have 3000 old and new servers under my management as well as over 100 switches and firewalls by various manufacturers and i can assure you NONE of the equipment i work with utilizes glass fuses.

As for alarm boxes, it could well be, since i know great FA about home alarms i am in no position to argue. Mind you that "knowing great FA" about home alarms is what got me onto this forum in the first place...

Thank You for your concerns though.

As you've now lowered this to veiled swearing - I'm gone

As you've now lowered this to veiled swearing - I'm gone

Would unveiled swearing be any better?
I used a synonym to the word "bottom" and it decided to hash it... hardly swearing is it.... Plus i was referring to myself if anything...
Good bye and thank you for looking at my post anyway.

dont fall off your ladders either

Sound advice :)

you wont find a number on it, most alarm engineers have never seen a watchman panel, most modern panels have a number, the watchman doesnt.

the bell battery will we directly soldered onto the pcb, not the chip.

are you any good with a soldering iron? take the old one out and look for one same size characteristics, i would gues around 7.5v.

But, as your alarm is so old, i suggest you dont bother with that battery, its only there to make the bell ring if the supply to the bell is removed.
modern sounders have a 20 min cut off in the bell, yours is so old it wont have one (the panel has) so if you do get a new battery, and if you do change it
and if the supply to the bell is cut, the bell will not stop.

i only say this as you are doing diy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back