Moving Burglar Alarm Cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope someone can help me. I've just moved into a house and am re-decorating the main bedroom. The alarm appears to have been installed with minimum "aesthetics" in mind so, although it works, there are several cables in ducting all over the place which I want to recess. To do this I will need to cut the cables to get them under floorboards etc. I have the alarm code and the alarm is working perfectly well at the moment. Can I just turn the power off for the alarm, cut the wire, re-route it and then reconnect with electrical connectors before switching back on. I don't want the alarm to trigger when I cut the cable or to stop working. Do I have to set the alarm to a "service mode" or remove batteries from the alarm and/or bell box????

Also, if I do get the cables under the floor - is there a problem running them near electric wires?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
You will certainly have to remove the batteries from the alarm panel and power it down, and probably the same for the bell box too.

If your system has a disable facility, do that first.

Then warn your neighbours and the Police.
Also wear your best ear defenders. Cutting the wire will be seen as interference by the system and that will trip the alarm.

Could be noisy!

I assume that to power down the main alarm box I just have to switch off at the fuse box (it has it's own dedicated circuit) then remove one of the battery leads than ladder up to the bell box and disconnect that. Reconnecting in reverse order.

Not sure if the panel has a disable function - it's a Nexus 8 installed in 1999 but we've got formal instructions just hand written note from previous owners.

Will probably wait to do it when the neighbours are out - they've got a newborn baby so don't think they'd thank me for a mid day wake up ;o)

Sponsored Links
Who gives a Flying?
Ta for the manual, was looking for that to put on my humungous collection on USB.
Watch this space,soon for sale :D

What do you still want / looking for?

I've got quite a collection myself from A to Z & all in between, abt. 250 or more manufacturers.

abt. 250 or more manufacturers

:eek: theres me thinking i had almost everything lol

Hmmmmm

Oldest i think i've got is A & G stuff, some regent too and some shorrock.

Oh an i take that back about the nexus btw cos i just found a folder marked "Omnicron" :confused:

Anybody need any SATEL stuff :?:

A1 Security, A&G Security & Electrical Ltd, Abel Alarm Co Ltd, Acron Corp, ACT (Access Control), ACT Meters, Active Voice, Adcor Electronics, ADE, Ademco, ADI-Gardiner, ADS, ADT, ADC, Advantor, Aegis, AEI, Alarm Lock, Alarm Pro, Alarmcom AG, AlertMe, Altronix, American Dynamics, Apex, Aritech, Aro Dynamics, Arrowhead (Sentrol Inc), AT&T, ATI (Protection 1), Audio Verification, Avanti, AV-GAD Systems Ltd.

& that's just the letter A >

9xB, 22xC, 14xD, 14xE, 8xF, 8xG, 7xH, 8xI, 2xJ, 4xK, 5xL, 17xM, 7xN, 3xO, 10xP, NoxQs, 13xR, 22xS, 12xT, 3xU, 6xV, 3xW, 1xX, 2xY & NoxZ

They are all Directories, I'm not counting all the sub-directories, never mind the files!

So I was right.
My megre collection is far superior.
And its not finished yet!

A quick update.

Taylortwocities: Yes I had spent time with Google and found the guide you also found but wanted to find out if there was a way to seperately disable rather than enter "Engineer Mode" which, surprisingly... the default access code has been changed for so I wasn't able to use.

In the end I would recommend the following sequence:

- Put ear protectors on
- Remove cover from main box INSIDE
- Reset system with alarm code
- Turn power off
- Disconnect inside battery
- Remove bell housing cover
- disconnect battery or siren

Reconnection in reverse order.

Managed to cut and reconnect cables with 5A electrical connectors without too much difficulty but boy those wires are fine... I'd advise having a couple of metres of each core type (4, 6 and:cool: spare in case re-routing needs more than the slack there is in the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back