Cabling issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have moved into a house which has a rebel 8/9 (not sure which) alarm and need to rerun the keypad cable. The alarm has been set off previously as there are 2 red lights on the alarm.
The problem is I dont know the engineers code and need to rerun the keypad cable. The options I believe I have are....

Disconnect the keypad cable from the alarm box after switching power off and removing battery, and rerunning then reconnect. (alarm bell can then be switched off at keypad once reset.
I already have red lights so wont be any worse off.

or Is telephone cable the same as alarm cable (apart from colours)? As I though I could tee-in a new cable. Meaning connect to box and run then join to existing cable then cut away old cable meaning no connection is lost.

Yes there is another alternative which is call an expert.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
telphone cable is solid drawn, alarm cable is multi stranded.

run a new alarm cable the take old key pad down and re connect at both ends (you may want to dissconect the internal sounder)

Thanks breezer.
Can I ask one thing? If I cut the keypad cable and rerun then join again I take it the alarm will sound until I reconnect then key in the code to switch off?

Also Is there any way to reset my alarm to get rid of the red lights? I don't know the enginneer code.

Thanks Again

Sponsored Links
I need to rerun the cable behind the wall and in order to do so I either have to

A. disconnect the cable from the box and rerun
or
B. cut the cable rerun then rejoin.
or
C. try to tee-in a new piece of cable and cut out the old.

I will turn mains off and remove battery before doing any of these (hopefully bell box battery is dead).

Which are ok to do???

none of the above.

why not as i first said run a new cable in THEN take the keypad down and connect at both ends

none of the above.

why not as i first said run a new cable in THEN take the keypad down and connect at both ends

but power the whole system down first ......... or you`ll lock the data line up

er, no.

Run the cable first then take the key pad down.

this way the OP can take as long as he likes to run the cable, the alarm does not "know" since the existing kit has no need to be touched until the last minute

Thanks guys but what is the difference of me running a new cable and cutting/joining the old one? either way there is a disconnection?
At least by cutting/joining I dont need to buy new cable. and the rerun is shorter.

ta

Any joints in alarm cable is NOT a good idea, potential false alarm hazard in the future.

Joints will oxidize or break down for no particular reason, even when done professionally, trust me, new cable is what you want - NO JOINTS

The cost of the cable is minimal compared to the aggravation that could be caused by going down the 'jointing' route.

ps

If the existing cable length is going to be shorter, what's the problem, no joints required, shorten it, or are you going down the easy route?

it's hard to explain but the cowboys who installed the alarm ran the cable coming out of the ceiling 3 inches from the wall and straight into the floor 3 inches from the wall!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back