Please Help: How to reduce the boiler's bar pressure..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening.

Boiler: Combi Murelle HE
Rads: modern-ish Stelrad (no trv)

To cut a long story short, following the pressure dropping to something like 0.6 - has done it before - I switched on the two "taps" underneath the boiler and accidentally increased the pressure to 2.3.

The status light became a healthily pleasant blue but after a few minutes of operation it goes red again as soon as the pressure builds up to 2.8.

Do I just go to the local B&Q (which closes in 40 mins) and buy a radiator key in order to let as much water drip as necessary (after switching everything off) or is it more to this? Can you please advise as we seem to be going to freeze our particulars tonight?

Please advise - anybody? - pretty please.

Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
The easiest option would be to let some water out of the bleed nipple even better try and find a drain cock. You may have had one fitted under one of your rads or sometimes they poke it through an outside wall.

failing that you can crack a nut at the bottom of a rad valve and catch the water in the bowl.

The easiest option would be to let some water out of the bleed nipple even better try and find a drain cock. You may have had one fitted under one of your rads or sometimes they poke it through an outside wall.

failing that you can crack a nut at the bottom of a rad valve and catch the water in the bowl.

thank you for your prompt response; it feels truly good when there are people not turning their back at one plight.

I guess when you say "let some water out of the bleed nipple" you assume using a radiator key and twist it anticlockwise so after any air coming out, the much needed water will start dripping to - to a point where the bar pressure will drop.

I wondr whether i should pick a radiator on the bottom floor or one closer to the boiler unit itself 9upstairs).
I'm now quickly rushing to B&Q and I hope people will give me their input

..so my confidence could be boosted a little bit.

Cheers

any rad will do to be honest

To save you a trip to B and Q if you have a pair of needle nose pliers you can probably turn the bleed nipple with them but be careful not to round it off.

If you have pair of water pump pliers you could try loosening a nut on the lockshield

Buying a bleed key is the best way and if you boiler is losing pressure it may come in handy in the future TBH

maybe a neighbour has one you can borrow ?

Sponsored Links
any rad will do to be honest

To save you a trip to B and Q if you have a pair of needle nose pliers you can probably turn the bleed nipple with them but be careful not to round it off.

If you have pair of water pump pliers you could try loosening a nut on the lockshield

Buying a bleed key is the best way and if you boiler is losing pressure it may come in handy in the future TBH

maybe a neighbour has one you can borrow ?

thx, just got back. Bought two types (exactly the same diameter tbh but different handle) .

I'll pick a radiator close to the boiler itself so I can monitor better.
I'll give it ago and will update.

thx again; you're a gem!!!

Right, it took 2 pints of water to get from 2.3 back to 1.5.

I'm now officially a Boilers' Veteran (and you must have reached a Godlike status by default)

Thx a LOT!!!

If your boiler is being topped up on occasions and you have drawn off another couple of pints mention this to your engineer when it comes to service time so he can check and top up the inhibitor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back