PLEASE HELP... i need info on megaflo systems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm about to have my plumbers fit an unvented hot water system into my house. I've been advised that i need to go for something like a megaflo due to having more than 2 bathrooms, and it will be a shared house.

They've also said that i should have a 300L cylinder which seems a little excessive and is looking to be incredibly expensive. There will be 3 bathrooms, and 4 people living there (all adults). is 300L about right.

And can anyone recommend a particular brand that rivals megaflo. Also as i need to put in a new boiler is it better to go with a direct or an indirect.

just to get as much advice in one post as i can. any advice on which boiler to go for too.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Laura

Sponsored Links
also one more thing.... does the megaflo give you good pressure? does it improve your pressure or is there something i can do to improve the pressure in the house.

Thanks

Lots of question that cannot be answered confidently.

Megaflow is the best.

If you want to connect it to the boiler, it has to be indirect.

300L sounds about right.

Boilers the Broag is perhaps the best on the market at the moment, but more info about the size of the property etc, two smaller boilers may be better than one larger, your Heating engineer should be discussing Your requirements with you.

To install an unvented the installer has to hold a G3 qualification, make sure he has.

Finally and the reason for my initial comment, you could be wasting your money and or be very disappointed.

You need to get the mains tested for pressure and flow rate at normal and peak times, because it may not deliver. 3bar and 40Ltrs/min minimum is what you should be looking for, otherwise back to the drawing board.

thanks doitall,

what are my other options. the reason i'm trying to find out from other people rather than consult my plumber is that sometimes i feel like builders try and only sell you what they're confident with fitting. So i want to know a little about what he's telling me.

cheers

Sponsored Links
As above it's not something one can comment on reliably, without knowing the history, layout, and what diversity can be added, and all that hinges round the mains pressure and flow rate.

Will they all have showers or baths, whats the likelyhood of all 3 bathrooms being used at the same time, is it a family home or three flats.

An water heater or 3 water heaters may be better, where are they being located, in the basement, an out building or upstairs somewhere, how many floors and will it need a secondary circuit.

clicky water heaters

You may need to consider a large storage tank and a low pressure system, or a pump and break tank, all these things should be discussed being the client and installer.

We would have produced a drawing, on the intended layout and design, based on facts, not guesswork.

The first thing you need to do is check the installers qualifications, get a reference for similar jobs, check they have the G3 ticket, etc, as you say this will not be cheap, and the last thing you want is a system that is poor or unacceptable, which only leads to a load of aggro with the builder.

There's a guy on here posts under simond, if he covers your area you would do well to get him in to do the job.

You can test the flow rate for yourself. Get a bucket and mark off 10 or 20 litres in it.

Fill it from your cold mains tap on full. It should reach the 10 litre mark in 30 seconds and the 20 litre in 60 seconds.

Once you have these results, repeat the test, this time with another cold tap running elsewhere.

Post back both results.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back