Please help it's my birthday today :-(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just installed a y splitter to feed both the dishwasher and washing machine. Both appliances have been connected, but the inlet hose to the washing machine keeps bursting off at the splitter when the water is turned back on, the dishwasher is fine.

Also to complicate matters, just before we installed the y splitter we had a blockage in the washing machine so it was stopped mid cycle (draining). When we unblocked this we thought it was a good idea to install the splitter whilst everything was pulled out (we've just moved into a new home which only has one water supply/inlet).

Is it to do with the demand for the water from the washing machine which for some reason is not being fed correctly causing a build up of pressure which causes the fitting to burst off? Or is it completely unrelated and something to do with the thread on the hose screw/fitting cap?

Please excuse the rambling, the unnecessary back story and the lack of correct terminology. Hopefully it makes sense....

Any help would be really appreciated as I am meant to be enjoying my birthday instead of writing long topics about plumbing problems and I haven't even had any dinner as we have been doing this for ages!

Many thanks,

Michelle

Sponsored Links
Thank you for a quick response - really appreciated!

It does look more robust then what we have, I'll try and install tomorrow :)

Do you not think it's anything to do with the washing machine? Why would the dishwasher hose stay on, yet this one comes off?

Washing machine uses a solenoid to control water flow into the machine, which is likely to go from fully open to fully closed in a split second. Sudden pressure jolt back when flow is stopped maybe enough to make the washing machine hose come off, dishwasher perhaps more gradual, so doesnt have the same effect.

The Tee valve fits inline in a 15mm copper pipe. Provided there is enough pipe accessible prior to existing valve I would (after turning the water off!), cut the pipe about 60-70mm away from the existing tap, fit Tee valve to open end, then fit piece you have just cut off into the other end. Restore supply, check for leaks.

Sponsored Links
Plastic Y pieces frequently arrive in batches with the inlet nuts oversized.
We sold a batch of 1,000 to BG. The brown stuff really hit the spinning thing!

I hd a washing machine and dishwasher on one for 5 years with no leaks - until the missus decided she wanted to go back to manual washing up :eek:

Thanks for the info, very helpful

I'm a bit concerned about cutting pipework etc, is it fairly easy to do and do I need a special saw to do it?

I'm just about to go off to diy..

Best thing to use is a pipe slice - one of these -
http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/handtool...henberg-Eco-Pipeslice-11247940?skuId=11758645
You will also need an adjustable spanner - http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/handtool...le-Wrench-Set-3-Piece-12758644?skuId=13269350
and a pair of waterpump pliers - http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/handtool...50mm-Waterpump-Pliers-11247738?skuId=11758443
I've linked the bits to a DIY shed in case that's the one you're going to .
If you're not sure about doing the work then have a good read up on how to install a washing machine isolation valve or any isolation valve as the procedure's the same.
Only attempt it though if you feel confident otherwise you could have a very large puddle to clear up and no cold water until it was fixed!

Can't see what is in the link. But regardless of what we do for a living, a job should be done properly.

If you can't do it properly, get someone in who can. Simples.

Try swapping the hoses around on the Y piece and see if it's still the washing machine hose that comes off. You could just try another Y piece from somewhere else. I have had one fitted for 20 years with no problems.
By the way......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Of course, another alternative could be to replace the current single valve with a double valve that gives you 2 3/4" connectors. It's similar to a Y piece but still requires you to remove the old one (adjustable spanner). Being fully metal will be much more secure than a plastic one. No cutting required tho just replace one for the other.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/compression-appliance-tee-brass-x-x-15mm-bsp/24030

Never seen one of dems before.

Mind you I hate those service valves anyway.

When we're doing posh plumbing I tend to use full lever valves and end feed coupling with ¾" BSP Male thread. ;)

Yeah, neither had I.

Found it last week when I was doing a dishwasher/washing machine install and wanted a dual feed from the same location and was looking for a brass Y piece and lo and behold found that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back