Please help...kitchen extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I just moved into a new flat and the kitchen extraction fan doesn't turn on. It is connected to a humidistat vent-axia 563550 with a pull switch. There are three wires from the window mounted fan blue, yellow and brown. The humidistat has 5 4 3 L N with a red wire between the 3 and the L. I have no experience with electrical. Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Hello I just moved into a new flat and the kitchen extraction fan doesn't turn on. It is connected to a humidistat vent-axia 563550 with a pull switch. There are three wires from the window mounted fan blue, yellow and brown. The humidistat has 5 4 3 L N with a red wire between the 3 and the N. I have no experience with electrical. Thanks for any input.
Is there a switched fused connection unit nearby that may not be turned on?
Your description seems to contradict the manufacturers instructions which have links between the L cable but not the Neutral cable. It is difficult to know from the instructions whether any links are factory fitted.
Can you provide photographs of what you have described.
Also have you read the instructions, this appliance has an overide facility
OPERATION
This sensor is designed to respond to the severity of moisture generating activity as well as the
ambient humidity and then to switch on an extract fan.
The pullcord will override the RH control and switch the fan to run continuously. The pullcord
should be pulled again to return the sensor to the automatic mode activated by the Humidity
sensor. There is no permanent “OFF” position.
Note to the installer and end user.
When power is first applied to the sensor, it will switch the fan on for approximately 2 seconds to
indicate power is connected. If the fan remains switched on for more than 10 seconds, the
pullcord should be pulled once to check that the sensor is not in override mode. (LED will go out).
The LED ON indicates that the Humidity sensor is in manual override mode.
After initial start up the Humidity sensor will take approximately 1 minute to acclimatise to the
local environment before entering its operational state.

Thank you for your quick response. It was a typo, it was the L. I have posted some pictures of the unit. I can't find any connections near by.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your quick response. It was a typo, it was the L. I have posted some pictures of the unit. I can't find any connections near by.
From your pictures have you removed the live and neutral supply and load cables?
Because you humidistat and fan won't work without cables to carry the electrickery!
From the manual - leave the red link wire in place.
The supply neutral loops in and out of the N terminal and goes to the N terminal in the fan.
The supply live should go into the L terminal with the load live going into the terminal 4 and then onto the L terminal at the fan.
This is a class 2 piece of equipment so there is no need to utilise the earth - put in a terminal block and tape up.
Do not do any of this if you do not know what you are doing and/or you do not understand what I have said - and do not do anything unless the circuit is dead.

Two other things:
If this is a rented flat then get the landlord in to sort it out.
If this is your own flat - by your own words - you have no experience with electrics - then it might be better if you call in an electrician to make the connections for you. Electricity is dangerous!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back