Please help me identify/improve this hedge...

Sponsored Links
Looks like a beech hedge to me, water it. It will improve greatly (if beech) over a lot of time say 10-15 years.

Been looking at photos online, was leaning towards it being Hornbeam, no?

Yep could be beech or hornbeam, both are fairly similar.

It might benefit from a small fence on the far side to discourage anyone from trampling on it

Sponsored Links
fences/railing not permitted at the front of the houses unfortunately (well, at least for a while!)...

It's more the state of the leaves I'm concerned about. I've been looking at both Beech and Hornbeam online and their leaves are usually a nice green colour in summer, whereas these aren't, they're going very brown around the edges.

So there's no decent fertiliser/plant food I can put down to help it recover/grow more quickly? Just water it every night?

fences/railing not permitted at the front of the houses unfortunately (well, at least for a while!)...
Up to 1m high they are.

Nothing to do with PP. It's a new build and it sounds as if there's a restrictive covenant in the OP's title deeds.

OP, the hedge looks like it hasn't been watered. Start now and keep watering. I'd wait until early spring to use a general purpose fertiliser.

Up to 1m high they are.

Nothing to do with PP. It's a new build and it sounds as if there's a restrictive covenant in the OP's title deeds.
No, more than likely as a condition of the original planning permission they would have removed all Permitted Development rights, as such he can still apply to the council for permission to build a fence using his PD rights and there is no Local Authority fee for the application. If he can do some simple doodles then it will cost the OP about £15 which will be the cost of the location plan. There is a good chance it would be granted and even if it were refused it will have only cost him £15.

I didn't see where the OP said he was in a Conservation area. Maybe he can come back and explain the nature of the prohibition on a fence.

Nothing to do with being in a conservation area, these are the standard restrictions placed on new builds.

Looks like a hedge from bare root plants, beech and hornbeam are slow growing. However, a young hedge needs watering until it establishes itself, and feeding would not go amiss. It looks okay, my privet was pathetic for a while, although it is faster growing. You have various choices. Do you like hardwood hedges? What purpose does the hedge serve?

One option is to grub it out -poor thing - and replace it with a hedging plant you prefer. Privet is semi evergreen and fast growing. Mine is thick and 1m tall after 2.5 years. Cotoneaster franchettii is evergreen, pretty with nice berries for the birdies. Conifers are the devils plant. Or shrubs, wiegela grows fast, stunning flowers, lots of hebes are lovely, and evergreen. Buddleja is invasive but popular. There are many options.

Or just wait and you will have a lovely attractive hardwood hedge. But watering and some feed would help.

The beech should be a decent height for a front hedge within 3 or 4 years. Deciduous but the leaves stay on in winter, so you get a green (or copper) hedge in summer and a golden one in winter.

As had been said, it's been planted with bare root plants, nothing wrong with it.

Cheers
Richard

the restrictions are quite common for new builds, I believe they like everything looking tidy and uniform (especially on an unfinished site as it will help make it look more attractive to prospective buyers). They're pretty basic restrictions - no fences/railings at the front and keep the front/garage doors painted white.

Glad to hear the hedge isn't sick, I will keep watering it from now on.

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back