Please help me - potterton promax 24

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a problem with my promax 24he boiler. It keeps locking out. The main pcb has been replaced, had a new burner last year also. When replacing the pcb my plumber put a new combustion door seal in as this had burnt away. For 5 days the boiler was fine, then it started locking out again. Stays on for 30 mins each time. I took the covers off it today and noticed the following.

1. The new door seal has burnt away again on the rhs nearest the pcb, some blackening on the actual door itself.
2. Condensate trap is quite full, both on left hand half of trap and right hand half has a lot of debris in it.

My gut feel is it's locking out due to an overheat as a result of the burnt door seal. My question though, is why is it burning them ?

Also, should the condensate trap be as described above or both chambers empty ?

Please help as I have already spent over £250 on this problem already.

Thanks

Lee[/code]

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
i hope you have isolated the appliance and labelled it accordingly. as the 'responsible' person you are liable should anyone be injured/killed due to a faulty appliance being used.

turn it off now and phone an RGI not a 'plumber'.

you have wasted £250 not 'spent' it.

The plumber I use is gas safe registered ?

Used him before and has top rating on checkatrade.

Appreciate the help, no smell of gas around the boiler. Any ideas why it's chewing the gaskets ?

It sounds pretty straight forward to me. However it is not correct for RGI to give out gas advice on this forum. You need to get your original RGI back or employ another RGI to resolve it for you. Do not get a plumbing RGI but a boiler engineer RGI. One fits hobs the other deals with Hi tech boiler fault finding on a daily basis, will diagnose your issue - order the parts & fix it.
Just because a plumber is RGI does NOT mean he can meddle with electronics!

Yeah there are a few things he has blatantly missed that are very common bits done on a service

Lee...

You need to get this guy back and explain himself - then fix the problems he may or may not have caused.

Calling Gas Safe is also not a bad idea - especially if he gets a strop on or is otherwise not helpful.

Give him the opportunity to sort it first; or get another in to give a unbiased opinion and repair the problems after documenting the boiler's current condition.

DO NOT USE IT until it has been looked at.

"Checkatrade" means less than nothing.

I wouldn't put too much fate in those ratings. Checkatrade has a serious conflict of interest as it proclaims to vet people, but they would hurt themselves by checking thoroughly. Have you verified any of those "testimonials"?

Don't call somebody else, call gas safe register and ask for a safety inspection because you don't trust the burnmarks. You shouldn't have to wait long.

I wouldn't put too much fate in those ratings. Checkatrade has a serious conflict of interest as it proclaims to vet people, but they would hurt themselves by checking thoroughly. Have you verified any of those "testimonials"?

Don't call somebody else, call gas safe register and ask for a safety inspection because you don't trust the burnmarks. You shouldn't have to wait long.

As Ben and several other above have said, the likes of 'checkatrade' mean nothing. They are business's that have been set up by third parties who seem to think they can get all us RGI's to sign up on the back of fearing that if we dont, we will be left by the sidelines with no work.
Parasites springs to mind.
Even the trading standard approved scheme is rubbish. I was the one of the first plumbers locally to join the approved trader scheme and to start with, it got me some work ( I use the phrase SOME) but when more of my ilk joined, the string to my bow loosened and so i didnt re-new.

The public dont appreciate that these things are neither free nor cheap to join.

Even the trading standard approved scheme is rubbish.
Especially trustmark is useless. The vetting process verifies that the company has paid their taxes over the past three years, but does not check their work at all. My local scheme is run by an external, private company who don't employ a single engineer, and couldn't fix so much as your pilot light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back