please help me sort the wiring out...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have tried to change a light fitting myself in the living room and now it don't turn on at all and neither does my bedroom or bathroom one now. I had 3 black wires,3 red wires and 3 yellow and green ones comming out from the ceiling and the new metal one I was putting up come with a connected block and instructions it said to twist all 5 Brown wires on the current together and put into the block and the same with the blue ones. Then I had to twist all 3 red wires together and all 3 black wires together and the same with yellow and green ones and connect them to the connector block I have did all this and now have no lights, someone please helppppp

Sponsored Links
If the instructions really did say that then you should contact Trading Standards with a complaint, because not only are they grievously wrong they are dangerous. Could you scan the instructions and post the image here? If you want to use the site's own photo library provision you'll find the instructions here: //www.diynot.com/network/DIYnot/albums/67/180

To get photo(s) to appear in your post you need to do all 11 steps. Stopping when all you've done is put them in an album won't do.

Or in a fraction of the time it takes to go through that PITA convoluted process you could use an image hosting site such as http://www.postimage.org . Or one of many others (preferably not Photobucket) - I personally like Postimage because of it's screen-scrape tool, which means you don't actually have to go to the site to upload photos.

Ideally the seller ought to now pay for an electrician to come and fix the problems which ave arisen because they told you to create a fault which could damage cables and switches, but there's fat chance of that.

There really is only Plan A or Plan B:

PLAN A:

Sponsored Links
I doubt very much that the instruction that came with the light fitting, instructed the installer to twist all reds together and all blacks together.

They more than likely instructed, that BS7671 standard should be complied to and a qualified electrician used.

What you have done is connected the switch line to the neutral side, one of those blacks is likely not a neutral but switch live.

Did you not note down how they were terminated, prior to removing the old fitting?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back