Please Help Moving House But Stuck

Sponsored Links
ha ha im not too fussed.

this is doing our head in over the weekend as everwhere is shut and also knowing our solicitors are rubbish, ill be on the phone at 9:01 tomottow and get the ball rolling.

Imdemnity policies are the new solicitors way to make money. When selling our last house there was apparently no proof of right of way over a lane to the property. We had lived in the house 10 years and the property was 175 years old - they made us pay for an imdemnity policy to cover it. We did manage to get them to reduce the cost of the policy by signing an avidavit to say we had used the access for 10 years (half of the 20 years something needs to become a legal right of way). Its a world gone mad - when we bought the house there was no issue.

One thing I did notice - the form says the works were complete when Kier were told - surely then they actually were notified about what had been built not what was planned and had no issue with the detached, a trip to the planning office may be worthwhile to get the plans.

Sponsored Links
well today i found out the garage was built in 1995 , kier didnt know what to say really i was passed from pillar to post, they said it didnt matter as being so long ago and that it probably ended when all the houses were finished,

after speaking to every department yesterday when i opened my emails today i had a message from kier, they have been incredible to answer so quick and basically said it wasnt really required but would send it for peace of mind.

i have sent this to my solicitor who has put it all forward but their solicitors are so slow and we are 4th in line to be reviewed,

i get so angry as they are all so slow and uninterested, is this all solicitors or just my situation

The buyer or the buyer's solicitor is being a twonk if they won't accept an indemnity policy - I suspect the buyer as the solicitor should be familiar with them. The buyer's lender may be causing problems but I've not heard of any lenders refusing to accept a valid indemnity.

When we moved last year we had to take out two indemnities - one for lack of building regs...on work carried out at least 10 years before we bought the property and another for a potential breach of covenant...the covenant went back to 1908 and was designed to stop the houses being converted into breweries, tanneries etc. but prohibited any buildings to be erected on the land without consent...we had a knackered old carport. After going backwards and forwards a ridiculous degree we discovered that those two were required by the lender, not the buyer himself. They even tried to get us to get extra cover for the old gas boiler as we didn't have paperwork for it's installation by Corgi/Gas Safe...the boiler we had went out of production about 10 years before those regs came into force, the only thing that got us out of that one was a copy of the previous owner's property information form that stated the boiler was in situe when he bought the property and that was dated before the regs came into force.

Anyhow whilst the indemnities are a waste of money (£50 each) they are cheaper than seeking any kind of retrospective permission - especially where structure may need to be opened etc and made good again.

i know it is stupid they tried to get us on the boiler but we have it serviced every year so thats out the question, then who owns the path at the front of our house incase someone builds on it.

The buyer is a cash buyer but supposidly wants every i dotted and every t crossed , so ive sorted that now anyway , still nothing from them today , my solicitor ( after a serious thrashing to pull their finger out) are finally on it and wanting it resolved , ill call tomrrow to chase

Anyhow whilst the indemnities are a waste of money (£50 each) they are cheaper than seeking any kind of retrospective permission - especially where structure may need to be opened etc and made good again.

Indeed - and when you're 12 weeks in to a failing house buying process, the 24 hour turnaround on the purchase of the indemnity also makes it worth doing just to make it all go away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back