Removal Of A Non Supporting Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 10 years ago a builder removed a non supporting wall from our old 30's semi. At the time the builder claimed , that as the wall was non supporting, that planning permision was not required.

We've now come to sell the house but are being asked for proof of planning permission. Obviously we have non, our buyers solicitor are asking for a payment of 150GBP for an indemnity against any insufficient work. Does this sound normal or are they trying it on?

Sponsored Links
It sounds as though you are confused about the rules.

Planning permission (in general) will not apply to internal works.

Building regulations will. However, b'regs only applies to relevant structural alterations. Partition walls are not deemed structurally relevant and are therefore not controlled work.

Interestingly we've just started to remove 2 partition walls that turn out to be structural!

Both are plasterboard and timber stud construction and one is actually holding up the roof and the other is supporting the roof ceiling where there is no binder beam and no other support now evident! This in a late 1960's house that is as built and hasn't been modified before.

Nobody foresaw this neither the architect nor builders who quoted until the plastrerboard came off and all was revealed. Suffice to say the studs are still there whilst a binder beam is added to the ceiling joists in one area and a steel RSJ is sized for the roof support in another.

Not all partitions are non-load-bearing!!

I am doing the reverse and adding an internal partition wall to split living room into bedroom and smaller reception (increase in family size needs it!), and have applied for building notice (LABC) after checking with them.

They told me that the removal or addition of an internal wall needs to go through them, mainly for the regs on fire escape.

Anyway the cost of this is about £150, applicable before the work begins, or after the work has finished (regularisation) which seems to be the cost being asked by your solicitor, and could be what it is being kept for.

Sponsored Links
Not all partitions are non-load-bearing!!

Quite so.

But one would have to assume that the o.p. has already established this and answer the question accordingly.

Partition walls in general, i.e. non-structural walls, do not require building regulations approval should you wish to remove one.

There are instances where electrics have to be altered, radiators installed or extractor vents installed, but my feeling is that the people involved with the sale are concerned about the structural relevance of the wall, yes/no?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back