Please help my id my render and suggest how to duplicate for extension!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg
Hi everyone. My extension is plodding along, but I am concerned about matching the render. I am hoping the plasterer can sand and cement base, and then put on a cream tinted silicone type of Tyrolean (or whatever it's called these days!). The existing render top coat (2007ish) has a silicone like rubbery quality. The previous owners think it was put on with spray guns. I have attached a photo to show the texture. Any clues/ ideas how I should try and replicate? The plasterer I saw today didn't even think you can get coloured Tyrolean, he said paint it. I'm between Aylesbury and Oxford if any one fancies quoting for the cash job!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 309
Sponsored Links
You are saying that the backing coat of sand and cement had some kind of rubbery stuff possibly sprayed on, and then Tyroleaned over as a finish?
When mixing new Tyrolean the mix water can have a colouring powder added.
Existing Tyrolean can be washed down and then spray painted.
To match old to new you will have to paint them both in together.

Thanks for the reply buddy.
I meant to say that the "paint" top coat has a rubber texture to it. I now realise that it must be a silicone paint of some type - my neighbors led me to believe the rendering was all sprayed on in one go and not painted. I guess it must be sand cement, Tyrolean type stuff, then waterproof paint.
Is there a more cost effective way of doing this i.e coloured Tyrolean or will I still need to paint it anyway??
Thanks
Col

Sponsored Links
If your painted render has been painted with a plastic paint then its wrong.
The correct paint to use would have been a masonry paint but its too late to correct now - dont go putting a new layer of plastic paint on top of the old layer.
"Waterproof" paint is the last thing you want on render.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back